We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzanite

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzanite

Can anyone tell me where the best place is to get Tanzanite in Arusha?

I am looking to get some good stones at a reasonable price that are genuine.

How much would I be looking at paying. I am looking at getting some as a gift.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any websites with useful information.

Thanks

Steve

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzanite

Steve... I have several other posts on buying tanzanite, you might want to search for those, I don't want to repeat it. Basically tanzanite is graded from the lowest quality being CCC to the finest quality being AAA, and there are all kinds of variations in between (BAA, ABA, etc.) They are graded mostly upon color, with royal blue (almost purple) being the finest grade, then there's the interior quality which a trained eye and a loupe will be needed. There are many shops in Arusha, actually more in Dar, that will see you tanzanite, most of these shops are located on or near Sokoine street. There are many gemstone dealers there which specialize in tanzanite. I might suggest e-mailing Mr. Wiston Laizer (sunsetcamp2003@yahoo.com) he has an office in both Dar and Arusha. He is a good reliable person. Negotiate for the price. I haven't checked the markets on tanzanite for awhile but the last time I checked they were going for about $400 - $500 for high quality cut stones, perhaps in the $350 range for good but lower quality, and perhaps in the $250 - $300 range for $350 range which would be a B grade to BBA stone. All these prices are per caret, so if you want a 10 caret stone you will be paying about $3,500 for the stone.

Hope this helps. If you have more specific questions just ask.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzanite

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully I will be able to look at getting some when I am out there.

Many thanks

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
789 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzanite

well Karl pretty much nailed it. I have heard that alot of the really nice pieces are actually exported and never end up for sale in tanzania but I am no expert on all that. Kibo and the other nicer lodges all sell pieces and you can feel assured that you are getting what they say. Be careful to stay away from random shops or any new friends who know just where to get some nice pieces or you will get ripped off.

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzanite

Never buy it off the street people. I was once offered a nice piece of plastic which they told mne was a saphire from a street vendor. If you don't know what you're looking at then go to someone who you can trust. I would also advise you not to go to the Cultural Center, they sell it there but it's way overpriced for low quality stones. I chuckle whenever I'm there and see what they have to offer and the prices (which they typically won't negotiate) they are asking. You don't want to know how many times I've been ripped off in Arusha/Dar, and I'm supposed to know what I'm doing in this regard. Those who will rip you off are very clever.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzanite

There are a few shops in town. I that I can recommend (brought some there before.. made them into earings) is Isle Of Jewels which is in town center on Seith Benjamin Road.

There is also a place Glitter gems which is near the post office. And now Tanzanite One has a show/shop centre across from Glitter gems where you can just look at blue all day!!

There are plenty of other gems in Tanzania as well. So don't just fall for the Tanzanite. I'm liking the sun stones and emeralds at the moment

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzanite

Tz also has some very nice rubies, especially if you like pidgeon blood ruby.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzanite

Thanks all for the advice.

I will have a look and see what is out there. Tanzaniteone's name keeps coming up so I will have to have a look there.

Hopefully it will make a nice gift.

Steve

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzanite

Tanzanite One is actually DeBeers. Be careful with them.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzanite

Tanzanite One now does mine safaris so you can go down and have a look in their mines also.

I was too cheap and just went to a local one which I will never, never advise or do again.. scary!!

Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzanite

Can you really visit their mines? Where could I find information about that? There is nothing on google or tanzaniteone.com about it.