We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

New York
1 post
Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

I will be traveling from the us to Johannesburg, Victoria falls, Arusha, Kilimanjaro, Zanzibar, and then Dar Es Salaam. I’ll I need the yellow fever vaccine. It is really hard finding places that has yellow fever vaccines in New York. The only place I am finding they are charging almost $400 for the shot. Should I just wait till I arrived in South Africa?

11 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
209 posts
23 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

I don't believe you need the yellow fever vaccination. Tanzania requires it only when you're coming from a country where yellow fever is endemic, and South Africa, Zimbabwe and Zambia are not on the list. See http://bit.ly/2OnNojP. Zambia is on the list of countries with low potential exposure, but other countries don't normally require vaccination for people who've been to countries that are only on that particular list.

Another consideration is that the vaccine is normally considered effective starting 7-10 days from the time of vaccination.

I would call the Tanzania embassy and reconfirm all this, and doublecheck with a travelers' medical clinic as well.

Arusha, Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
2. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Hi

Check carefully some time back there was something about visitor's fro SA needing the certificate

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,532 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

When trying to decide whether to get jabbed or not,remember that yellow fever exists in Tanzania and the vaccine is recommended for almost all visitors by the (www.cdc.gov/travel/conentyewllowbook.asks)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
13 reviews
10 helpful votes
4. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

The CDC's advice on YF is this:

"Health recommendation:

"CDC does not recommend yellow fever vaccine for most travelers to Tanzania. However, you might consider this vaccine if you are staying a long time or will be heavily exposed to mosquitoes."

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
434 posts
54 reviews
18 helpful votes
5. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Hi we just got back as a family from the same countries and cities. Not sure if this is helpful to you or not , we didn't have the Yellow fever shots or asked until way into our trip when we took the Arusha bus to Kenya, at the Kenyan border we we're told that we had to and a gentleman that threw a white coat on called himself a doctor , $15 each we we're good to go through costums.

Jacob

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
13 reviews
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Are you saying you got shots for $15 or you paid a "gratuity" of $15?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
434 posts
54 reviews
18 helpful votes
7. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Hi Steveb108 we actually paid $15 American dollars at that particular Kenyan border crossing from Arusha to Nairobiby bus. I can't speak for other crossings though

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,354 posts
8. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Hi

Thats not much as long as it was clean and safe, here it would cost over $100 easily pp.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
40,227 posts
472 reviews
469 helpful votes
9. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Sadly the normally accurate "safarieyes" post above is partially incorrect.

<remember that yellow fever exists in Tanzania >

There is no YF in Tanzania and that is the reason they are so strict on insisting you get vaccinated if coming in from an infected country. They don't want you bringing it is.

US$15 a shot is great value as long as you got a valid Yellow Certificate. Otherwise it is worthless.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
434 posts
54 reviews
18 helpful votes
10. Re: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?

Yes it was actually very clean ,sterile and cheap. You guys mentioned about how strict Tanzania is. They never asked us for our Yellow Fever proof of shots/yellow card. It was only going into Kenya where they required us. That was also after South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique.They never asked. It was all about the money money money for the Visa.

Reply to: Will I need yellow fever vaccine?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted