We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

San Francisco...
1 post
Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

Hello,

I plan on going to Arusha at the end of August from San Francisco. I wanted to ask if anyone has flown there from the West Coast and what is the best way to get there (airline and airport). I also found out that going to Kilimanjaro might be more cost effective than to fly directly to Arusha? However, can I just arrive at the Kilimanjaro airport and go outside and get a taxi to Arusha city or is this unsafe to do? Is there perhaps a lack of taxis sometimes making it difficult to coordinate? How much does it cost and how long is the ride??

OR Maybe is a flight from Kilimanjaro to Arusha easier? If so, can I just arrive then go to the counter and book a flight that day or should I prebook in advance a connecting flight flying out that day before I depart home?

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
302 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

I fly from the east coast (NYC) so I can't answer your first question in detail. But yes taxis are readily available at Kilimanjaro, you definitely won't struggle to find one. They cost $50, will take you anywhere you need to go in Arusha, and it'll take about an hour.

You can try and negotiate the price of the taxi, but I've only seen it work once, when a delightful West African chap refused to pay the $50 on account that he isn't an American.

Anywho, I believe Coastal Aviation have a flight between Arusha Airport and Kilimanjaro Airport, though I'm unsure of the schedule and cost.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 04:39
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

Thank you. What route do you usually take from NYC? I could fy into the East Coast as I have family there. Maybe take a flight from DC?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,810 posts
445 reviews
3. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

Arusha (ARK) does not accept international flights so your flight should be to Kilimanjaro. Delta KLM fly there from US via AMS. Other airlines such as Turkish will fly via their own hubs.

From DC you could use Ethiopian direct to Addis Ababa with a connection to JRO.

Once in JRO there is little point in flying to ARK as it is easy to get a taxi or your Safari TO to pick you from JRO. Depending on the time of day and your actual destination in Arusha the drive should take between 45 mins and an hour.

Did you mean August 2018 or 2019?

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
862 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

Both times I went I flew SFO to JRO on KLM, changing in Amsterdam.

Carmel Valley...
Level Contributor
65 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

I have reasearched every possible way to get from SFO to JRO (Kilimanjaro). The best route, as Sparks states, is KLM from SFO to Amsterdam (AMS) then AMS to JRO.

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
884 posts
110 reviews
6. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

We flew Qatar Airline from JFK-DOH-JRO. We could have also flown from Miami but that required a long layover in DOH. Our layover in DOH was 2 hours which was plenty of time. I believe they also fly out of DC. We were very impressed with the airline and would not hesitate to fly with them again.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
180 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

My son lives in SFO. He joined us to Kilimanjaro. We flew Qatar. The quickest route is through Amsterdam on KLM.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

We just returned from Kenya/Tanzania. We flew to Nairobi, Kenya first, from there we flew to Kilimanjaro, then took a car ride to Arusha airport, and took a bush flight to Serengeti. Arusha is a tiny airport. So, you need to fly to Kilimanjaro first, and arrange transfer.

By the way, there are more flights and better airfares into Nairobi, Kenya, so it might be a good idea to look into SFO to Nairobi, then book a flight from Nairobi to Arusha or Kilimanjaro. We did the KLM flight through Amsterdam.

Nairobi
5 posts
9. Re: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha

you can arrive in Nairobi jomo kenyatta airport then take the shuttle bus from Nairobi to Arusha which will cost you 30usd using Regional luxury shuttle bus , also you will enjoy the drive and you will be able to see alot of attractions.

Reply to: Traveling from San Francisco to Arusha
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted