We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

From what i read Mr J Hurcules,

I SHOULD be able to check my baggage in at lombok and not see them again until i arrive in melbourne, flying lion air, lombok to melbourne , then

using any international carrier from denpasar to melbourne,

whether it be garuda, malaysia, jetstar, virgin etc...

as long as i stay 'in transit ' at denpasar airport

the same SHOULD apply in reverse, Melbourne to Lombok.

i do hope i am right in my thinking...

1. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 March 2012, 15:26
Edited: 04 March 2012, 15:26
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

Unfortunately if you use seperate carriers there will be no inter-lining between those carriers. You will need to reclaim your bags and then check-in again with the carrier providing the next sector of your travel. If you enter an LOP-MEL request into the Garuda system you will get a single itinerary:

Praya (Lombok) to Melbourne (Australia):

Flight 1: Garuda Indonesia GA437, Dep 18:55 from (LOP) Praya, Indonesia - Lombok International--Arr: 19:30 at (DPS) Denpasar Bali, Indonesia - Ngurah Rai, terminal I:

Change of plane required. Time between flights : 4:15.

Flight 2: Garuda Indonesia GA718, Dep 23:45 from (DPS) Denpasar Bali, Indonesia - Ngurah Rai, terminal I--Arr: 08:25 +1 day(s) at (MEL) Melbourne, Australia - International, terminal 2

Flying GA (Garuda)

If you depart Lombok (LOP) to Melbourne (MEL) [Australia] via Bali (DPS) using a single ticket for your entire itinerary (LOP-DPS-MEL) then hopefully your bags will be checked through and in DPS you will be issued with a transit passenger card, this will mean you should not need to pay the airport tax again in DPS, but only if you are 'formally' classified as a passenger in transit.

Other circumstances that offer inter-lining would include departing LOP on a Silk air flight to Singapore and connecting there with an onward journey on another Silk Air or Singapore Airlines flight.

There are also several code share agreements covering the Silk Air flights operating LOP-SIN.

These include; KLM, Malaysian airlines and Garuda code shares.

These airlines have a range of further codeshares that in principal link LOP into several onward flights from Singapore to destinations worldwide.

Again the single ticket-single itinerary requirement applies if you wish to pass through SIN as a transit passenger, otherwise the flight is terminating in Singapore and baggage retrieval, customs and immigration requirements are as normal for any passenger with a flight terminating in Singapore.

Lion Air also ticket through to Singapore from LOP, normally (CGK) Jakarta is the hub with a change of aircraft there, but it is also possible through (SUB) Surabaya.

Lion air will also ticket LOP through to Kuala Lumpur Malaysia (KUL) via CGK. To do this you need to depart on the 06:00 flight LOP-CGK and connect there with a 09:05 departure for KL arriving at KUL at 12:05 (or any later flight if the 09:05 is not available). Again the single ticket rule applies and both sectors are on a 737-900ER.

There is a time limit for 'in-transit' but no one in their right mind would ever purposefully 'dwell' in CGK unless they had to. Watch out for terminal change requirements if hubing through CGK with Lion Air as a transfer between T1 and T2 is required on the airport's (free) shuttle bus service.

Garuda also serves LOP-KUL with a stop in CGK using 737-800NGs.

Like the others it is a single ticket route as long as you specify it as that, transfers are all within T2, at different ends of the building but all indoors.

A similar question was recently asked here tripadvisor.com/…39163587 in regard to GA flights LOP-DPS-MEL, they do connect quite nicely time wise with only a short time in DPS to get onto the flight to Melbourne.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

As a rule of thumb if the Garuda or Lion Air online booking system will accept the final destination with an LOP departure then a single ticket option is available.

With others such as Garuda, Silk Air, KLM, Malaysian Airlines codeshares and interlining you have to dig down a little harder.

However I have successfully brought up tickets from EU points of departure through to Lombok on a single ticket at prices sometimes better than flying into CGK, DPS or SUB and then ticketing separately for the final leg even when using LCC fares for that final leg. It is always worth exploring those options, both for convenience and cost reasons.

Until Lion Air, Garuda, Batavia, Air Asia or maybe even Qatar start doing some services through to Australia from LOP then we are stuck with a transit in DPS, CGK, SIN, SUB or KUL, or a combination of those to get from Lombok to Australia.

Air North and Skywest (Western Australia) may also offer some potential for future regional links, maybe to Darwin, but I am doubtful of that eventuating.

The airlines cannot seem to effectively service routes to Darwin, probably due to the high airport costs there, an unhappy outcome of the program of privatising Australia's gateway airports.

Air Asia's apparent recent closing of the Bali to Darwin route is a disappointment.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 15:45
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

Thank You for your particularly informative reply.....

back to the drawing board...

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

Hercules is right - any airline will interline you baggage if all the flights are on the one PNR (Passenger Number Record) or commonly referred to in the industry as Reloc - Relocation code.

So if you can buy a ticket with each sector on it - or able to buy separate flights but get them all put on the one booking, you will be able to do it.

Best advice on how to do this, is go see a travel agent, it will not be possible online

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

Lion Air ticketing such as LOP-SIN, LOP-KUL is issued on line and is a single ticket, single itinerary issue. PNR would be in common to both flights from what I have been observing for the LOP-SIN route at least.

As Garuda are offering LOP-MEL as an online solution then my assumption is that the single ticket outcome also shares the PNR and a checkin at LOP will check through bags to MEL, GA normally does in similar situations.

With Silk Air things should be OK as the flight goes into Changi in Singapore and any interlining requirements are fulfilled there if changing carriers.

Interlining is more problematic in Indonesia and as 001 has mentioned that will required the intervention of a travel agent.

Generally in Indonesia it is best to either stick with one carrier, or lug the bags between carriers yourself. As soon as you start crossing over systems things can go wrong and if they do, like a missing bag, then no doubt no one will effectively accept responsibility for it.

I might just add that the most important aspect in Indonesia is to be absolutely certain that the correct final destination is tagged on the bags.

I have intervened on several occasions when check-in staff have accidentally mis-tagged the destination, or tagged an intermediary transfer airport rather than the final destination. Of course when that happens your bags go 'missing'.

Check each bag, and that you have all the matching tear-offs or stickers attached to your ticket or boarding pass.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

All noted

thanks..

8. Re: Lombok - Denpasar - Melbourne Any Airline...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:43