We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grab or Uber

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
75 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Grab or Uber

Hello. Are Uber and Grab commonly used in Medan? Any restriction to use them fetching us from 5* or 4* hotels?

6 replies to this topic
london
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grab or Uber

grab and go car are both popular and there are no restrictions. I am not sure how popular uber is.

Medan
Level Contributor
996 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grab or Uber

i almost never heard of anyone who use uber in medan. as mentioned above grab and gojek (go car for the car version) are the two heavyweight in indonesia. i would assume uber driver is quite limited but i could be wrong

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grab or Uber

What about taking grabcars at midnight? A lot of them? Say you arrive there in the middle of the night and want to go around/commute to hotel.

Thanks

Medan
Level Contributor
996 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grab or Uber

not a lot but available and practice caution when using them late at nite. there are some story about not too honest driver, not to scare you but just sharing some info.

there is a case where the driver hid a friend at the back of the car so they can mug you. its has becoming like a norm for ppl taking transport late at night to check the back of the car to make sure nobody is there.

otherwise i would suggest just take bluebird taxi. Gojek (indonesia local online taxi brand) have a corporation with bluebird where you can order it from their apps and still pay apps' price

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grab or Uber

That’s a very useful piece of info. Thank you so much!

Medan
Level Contributor
996 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grab or Uber

if all fail just take the bluebird from airport (those that are waiting at the airport) or call them. don't take any of the drivers that are offering their service in front of the airport, you never know what you get yourself into

Reply to: Grab or Uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted