We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Medan city from Kualanamu Airport

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Medan city from Kualanamu Airport

I have had trouble searching for an answer to the question above so after experiencing it personally, I would like to share the information. Taxi vs. Express Train (Railink)? Both are around the same price for 2 pax. Railink is IDR100,000 per pax whilst the taxi was RM200,000 per taxi so it was the same for me as I have 2 pax travelling. I was convinced into taking the train as I was told traffic in the city was horrendous. Yes, it is true but again it is the timing that is critical. I took the Railink into the city on a Sunday but the traffic was crazy getting fm the train station to the hotel. 30 mins for a mere 10 mins walk! So on my return trip, I decided to give the taxi a try and it was a breeze. Took 50 minutes door to door. As to the timing, we were told by the taxi drivers that peak time would be early morning before 9.00 am and 2.00 pm onwards till 7.00 pm. It would be clear at night. Hope this would be useful information.

2 replies to this topic
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Medan city from Kualanamu Airport

Thanks for your useful info !

Americana, SP
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Medan city from Kualanamu Airport

Just got in Medan yesterday, here are the options:

- Train to city center: 100.000 rupia p/p.

- bus to center: 20.000 rupia. Then you can get a taxi/uber/grab to your place

- Uber/Grab. Apperently it is illegal to get them at the airport, but you can order and the guy will wait you in the parking place, which ia just crossing the road. ~100.000 rupia

- Taxi. 200 - 250.000

What you can do also is just go to the parking are and try to find a taxi there (i did this and negotiated to 100k rupia). I think they drop-off people and then try to go back to the city full by using the apps or getting someone at the parking lot.

I think the cheaper option is bus+app but you need internet. Or use the app in the airport where there is Free WIFI.

Cheers

Reply to: Best way to get to Medan city from Kualanamu Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted