We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Dear Bandung experts,

FIRST I would like to visit Tanjung Layar Beach, which I am aware is not in Bandung but I guess Bandung's the nearest departure point for the place. I have a few questions as follows:

1. Is it possible to go and come back to Bandung the same day (aka a day trip)? Any advice on road conditions?

2. Which is the most ideal way to get there? I'm inclined to have a driver and a car. Please update on the most current rates if you know. I can't recall the rate I got in Flores. In Bali in late 2013, it was 750k IDR/day (10hrs max). If I stay overnight, the driver has to stay overnight too, so I assume I have to pay for his stay too.

Other than sharing the current rate, could you also recommend a driver who could speak basic English? My friend told me about Mulia car rental service years ago when I searched Bandung. Are they still reliable? Please feel free to recommend any freelance reliable drivers you've had great experiences with.

3. In August, which is the time of the intended visit, is there any info regarding the tide patterns (so I can narrow down the time the tide comes and the "waterfall" appears)?

SECOND I need to be in Jogja later (second leg of the trip). So I am trying to figure out after Tanjung Layar Beach, how should I get to Jogja. I have always wanted to see Kampung Naga (Garut), Kawah Putih is on the way there so going to Kampung naga is actually a good idea. Continuing on that direction, I can visit Green canyon and Pangandaran. But then it would be a huge waste of time if I drive back to Bandung and then either take train or flight to Jogja. So,

4. Is it a good idea to continue driving to Jogja from Pangandaran? The road conditions beyond Pangandaran?

5. I'm not too keen on Green Canyona and Pangandaran though, so what would you think about making a day trip to Kawah Putih and Kampung Naga and back to Bandung, take the train/flight to Jogja?

My sincerest thanks for all the inputs!

Vân

8 replies to this topic
Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Hey there Van,

So, in December 2016. I went to Karang Taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach. It was a nice place, and clean sea and the waves are so great.

It's in the different province, it's about 198 KM away from Bandung. We start the trip at 10 pm, and we arrived there about 6 am, I guess you can't go there and back to Bandung on the same day, furthermore if you start the trip in the morning or in the middle of the day, it will take a longer time because of a traffic jam, and the only available transportation is by the car.

You can use google maps or Waze, I use it too and it's easy to get there, but I am afraid that you have to rent a car because, in my experience, I didn't see public transportaion or bus there. Back then, I pay 350.000 rupiah/day (24 hours) only for the car, exclude gas and driver. And for the place, I pay 850.000 rupiah/day. it has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen and living room. And it might be more than that because people here always overcharged everything for a foreigner.

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Super helpful tips, thanks, suhaeli01!

I normally don't travel at night. I was thinking of staying the first night in Bandung and traveling to the beach early the following morning. I will consider traveling straight to the beach after landing.

At what place did you stay at the beach? The name? Can we book in advance for that place (online/phone call)?

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Hey Van,

I can't really remember the name of the place, but there are a lot of places, don't worry. And its not a hotel or resort just a home stay, and I think they don't have any management, it just peoples from there that take care of the place. But its safe, clean and comfortable place, and only take 2-3 minutes walk from the beach.

When you arrive there, people will help you to find a parking space, when you park your car, people will offer you a place to stay. its better for you to let your driver talk to them, to avoid an overcharged price. You need to pay the ticket for the first time to entrance the beach and home stay, I think it jus 5.000-8.000 rupiahs per person, and after that, you dont have to pay anything.

And also, it will be better if you take food with you, its hard to find a restaurant, Warteg, or event a local shop that sell foods, so you can cook food for yourself at your place because the place have a kitchen with rice cooker, refrigerator, stove, plate, cup, water dispenser etc.

Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

that place is quite far. from pelabuhan ratu maybe 1 hour.

yes of course you better travel at day. ruad to such place usually dark in night. can be dangerous.

for hotel, you can stay in pelabuhan ratu. i think there is more hotel there.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

<<1. Is it possible to go and come back to Bandung the same day (aka a day trip)? Any advice on road conditions?>>

It's not possible to go for a day trip to Tanjung Layar Beach.. Unless you are going there for research or creating documentaries.. Why not spend more time visiting Jogjakarta, Pangandaran and Bandung.. It will make you trip easier..

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Hi all, thanks all for the pieces of advice!

I wanted to go to that place because of the waterfall created by tidal waves, quite spectacular and unique. However, my Indonesian friend, after I initiated this thread told me sawarna area was undeveloped and not so safe to travel there by self (self plus driver), so I think I'm going to skip this place.

I will focus on Garut (kampung naga) and try to get to Jogja from there.

Nice weekend,

Van

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Hi Van.

My suggestion if you come and firt day is in Bandung

Day 1. Stay in Bandung and explore to Kawah Putih, Tebing Keraton.

Day 2. Go to Garut its about 3 hour drive from Bandung. Try hot spring water and stay at cipanas hotel.see in agoda which have their natural hot spring water. I recommend Sumber Alam Hotel quite expensive around $50 but you can find other hotel near by cheaper $ 10-20 too. You can go to Papandayan volcanic mountain.too

Day 3. Go to Pangandaran Beach. It takes 5 - 6 hours drive from garut. But be carefull when you swim at the beach. Wave will come higher suddenlly and can take you to dept. Visit Green Canyon for the day in Pangandaran. Many hotel with diff price you can easyly find there. Easy to find food with cheap price.

Day 4. If you want to drive to Yogya. I will take 9-11 hours as the road is being fixed now till July. If you want drive. You better stopover at Batu Raden/ Purwokerto ( 5-6 hour from Pangandaran)nice place to explore. Hotel price are variety.

Day 5. Go to Yogya. Take 6-7 hours

You visit many place there. See place to do in Tripadvisor.

After you can fly from Yogya to any city in Indonesia. See Indonesia map to check your journey/ plan to go so you can decided which places you want to.

As we are planning to go to your country. I see Vietnam map. So i can arrange the route for my visit. And see the airline flight route which one more easily can go.

Ho Chi Minh city
Level Contributor
149 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach

Thanks sutendy w very much for the time estimates Those will be helpful for planning.

Vietnam's an elongated shape, so it's easy to travel. There're 2 major roads running along the country coast and Annamite range if you dare to drive here, otherwise, Hanoi and HCM are biggest hubs. 2 beach cities that are great and convenient to fly to are Da Nang and Nha Trang.

Have fun traveling in Vietnam!

Reply to: pantai karang taraje/Tanjung Layar Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted