We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Bendigo Victoria
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

I read in a post that you can take colloidal silver for Bali belly. Does anybody know about this stuff? Do you take it to prevent Bali Belly or whilst you are unwell? Is it a liquid?

I'm presuming you can purchase from a Health Food shop?

Any info please.

Port Macquarie...
Level Contributor
184 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

A few years ago I bought some in Bali at the Bali Deli if I remember correctly. It is a liquid and was sold as a cure for Bali Belly. I don't recall it working as well as it promised! Now I take Travelan before every meal and have never been sick belly-wise since. I have just had three weeks in Thailand and took Travelan every meal, have travelled in Vietnam and have for the last four years at least used Travelan. Wouldn't leave home without it!

Bendigo Victoria
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Thanks for that info, read some others who take Travelan. What is it? Do you get it from a Health Food Shop or a Chemist. By the way you talk it is a preventative? Can you let me know a rough price please.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

I would not take a preventative for Bali belly, In fact it is unlikely you will get Bali belly. You will probably have a slight stomach upset and mild diarrea at some stage, but usually this is because of a Change in diet, climate and general germs. Keep your hands clean with aquium or similar as most causes are from handling money and the like., not from eating food or water. Don't drink tap water, only bottled, it is dirt cheap.

The last thing you want to do is block up what needs to come out :) 1 day close to a toilet is better than severe cramps and constipation.

If diarrea persists then you need to stop dehydration so something like gastro stop is ok if you need to be away from hotel or are planning a trip.

Bendigo Victoria
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Thanks heaps for info!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Colloidal Silver is not an approved drug in Australia or the US.

I asked a pharmacist had he ever heard of anyone drinking it. He replied "No" and that it is known to aid the healing of a wound (applied as a bandaid/dressing)

Travelan can be bought from the shelf at the chemist, you will find it in the same location as Imodium, Gastro-Stop, cost under $20 ($16.50 at a discount pharmacy for a box of 30)and Probiotics work on a similar principal, Herron,Natures Own etc in tablet form (available in supermarkets/healthfood shops)

www.travelan.com

Imodium and Gastro-Stop are the same Loperamide Hydrochloride 2mg just marketed under different names.

Perth
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

we swear by colloidal silver, its better used as a preventative, we have never been sick whilst travelling, whether its from drinking this or from being diligent i dont know, u get it from health food shop or ur pharmacy its about 500ml or 1 litre so its pretty big, you are allowed it through customs as they considder it to be medicine :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

I have just purchased some to take with me to Bali next week.

Bought it from the health food shop and it vaires from 100ml which was around $12.00 up to 1 litre which was around $40.00

As we are only there for 4 days, we are not taking any chances on being sick for 1 or 2 days.

I intend to take a dose each morning, just to be on the safe side.

Will let you know if we do come down with something. fingers crossed we dont

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Put a few tablespoons or so in your water bottle and sip during the day. That way any bugs you pick up won't have a chance. I swear by it also, have lived here for a few years, eat and drink all sorts everywhere and never been sick. If you run out you can buy locally made from Juice Ja or Bali Buddha in Ubud, other places on the coast as mentioned above. It's cheap (about $8 a litre). As Burns39 said, it's also good for topical use. As an example, last year it was all I had with me when a local boat boy came in to where I was eating with a filthy gash to his hand. I cleaned it with pure CS and bandaged a swab soaked in it onto the wound, and by next day it was already healing really well. Manuka honey is another good one to bring with you if you're expecting minor disasters lol.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Wow...much cheaper in Bali! $8.00 compared to $40.00 here.

Can you buy it anywhere other than Ubud?

We will be staying in Legain at Christmas time and it would be much easier and cheaper for me to buy when we get there.

If anyone knows somewhere near Garlic lane to purchase, let me know.

Thanks

Bendigo Victoria
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colloidal Silver for Bali Belly

Can you taste the colloidal silver in your water bottle?

We all know how fussy kids are, if they can taste anything they won't have a bar of it! I might take some cordial as well just in case you can taste it.