We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter rental and riding around Bali

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Scooter rental and riding around Bali

Hi, couple of questions:

1. How much and where do I rent a motorcycle/scooter in Kuta.

2. I am planning on going to Ubud for the dance and other more cultural stuffs, how long does it take riding a scooter from Kuta (at a safe speed).

Thanks.

Dallas
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

OK, I just realized that you need an IDP to ride a motorcycle in Bali. Although I knew how to ride motorcycle since I grew up in SE Asia but now I am in the states and had no need to get a motorcycle license, so if I go to AAA they will give me an IDP only for "cars" - is this good enough?

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
822 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

you might like to read this thread, its not recommended that you drive in bali

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k169…

Dallas
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

Thanks a lot. Of course I appreciate the concerns for fellow travelers. I do want to point out one thing: I grew up riding motorbikes - NOT in US, but in Taiwan. So I am thinking I am pretty much used to this. I was riding in many spots in Thailand, and I did not see riders do any worse than I did :-) before. So that's a perspective difference I guess.

Now again, it's all very possible that Bali is even worse than my experiences, but I think I can judge this the moment I see the traffic.

And I am not trying to get "macho" on this. The whole point is convenience. I stay on Kuta beach, plan to take surf lessons couple hours a day, and then I want to see the dance in Uluwatu, hit seafood joints . I heard that after dark it's hard to get taxi so I figure a motorcycle of my own works the best. If someone knows how to get around this problem in a safer way, please by all means, let me know.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

taxis are never hard to come by , they are everywhere in bali at all hours of the day and night .

ubud might be different , but in kuta you would be fine .

you will see motor cycles for rent everywhere or the other alternative is to get a driver to drive you and wait for you whilst in ubud ...they dont charge that much and although you might be experienced , they do not recommend driving at night as the roads are not the best as it is during the day , ned alone at night for someone who does not know the roads .

another point is corrupt police like to target foreigners for traffic offences & make them pay straight up ...you will be a sitting target .

your best bet is a driver , sit back , let them have the worry of roads and traffic and sit back and watch the scenery instead of the road !

every second man will offer you "transport" you can bargain with them easily ....even if you still want to go by bike , get them to take you , should be cheap as chips !

cheers

batt

Dallas
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

Of course, if I have options, I will rather get taxi everywhere at all time. I might be able to control the traffic condition but it can be extremely for me to get lost still.

So how about an evening watching Kecak dance at uluwatu and Jimbaran beach dinner? How would one plan the transportation, would I be able to get taxi all the time or might as well just buy a tour to do this?

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

there are loads of men standing around everywhere ...virtually every 2nd person you walk past will ask you if you want transport. ....tell them where you want to go , bargain a good price with them and off you go ....some have cars , some have mini vans , some have bikes , just look out for your preference .i am guessing it would work out cheaper than a tour .they will have to wait for you at ullawatu , the dance goes for about an hour and you get to look around the cliff area as well, then he can take you to jimboran and wait again or tell him to come back later if you think you will be their for a fair while .

If i where you , the day you arrive , see if you cant find someone with the vehicle type you want and think you will be comfortable in /on , befriend this person , if they seem honest and helpfull , then tell him to not rip you off and you will use him regularly on your stay ...get his phone number and ring him when you want his services.....but dont forget to bargain , they will tell you a huge price to start off with , so bargain hard to get a good price ....that goes for everything you buy as well !

hope this helps

cheers

batt

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

Hitt6888, Hubby and I hired a scooter in Nusa Dua to get around. It was great to ride up the Tanjung Benoa water sports area and around all the big resorts and around the village of Nusa Dua. There was not a lot of traffic there. We did ride into Kuta once and that was alot of fun, hair raising in some places but my hubby has grown up on bikes and is a very sensible driver, so I know you take life into your own hands driving in any foreign country, we have ridden motorbikes in Thailand many times also. There is nothing like the feel of the wind in your face and being able to stop where and whenever you like, plus you get to see so much more. If your confident I would say go for it but we extra vigilant. Sue

Bali
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

In 1996 I came to Bali, rented a motorcycle and spent a month going all around the island -- it was wonderful. I now live in Bali and I own a motorcycle and I never take it on trips more than about 5 minutes long. It's just not safe any more. The problem is not only the large number of new vehicles (& new drivers) on the street, but during the high seasons the tourists all show and think they can ride bikes like the locals. They are a nightmare.

That said, the southern portion of the island is where the congestion is. Once you get outside of the southern portion, traffic thins way down and it is much safer, but you must have experience riding in fluid traffic situations, etc. (You rode in Taiwan, you can deal).

Good luck. Be safe. Wear your helmet at all times or every cop on the island will hit you up for $$

9. Re: Scooter rental and riding around Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 17:21