We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about using drivers

United States
Level Contributor
221 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Question about using drivers

I'm just curious, when using a private driver for the day do they typically come along with you while you sightsee, do they drop you off and wait for you, or do they drop you off and come back to pick you up? For example we want to take our kids to the Treetop Adventure Park so we will need to hire a driver. I'm not sure how long we will be there so I am wondering what our driver would do during that time. I feel bad having them wait for us not knowing how long we will be. Also, when we stop for lunch or dinner, do we offer to have them dine with us and would we tip them over the daily rate? Anything else to consider when hiring a driver? Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about using drivers

Don't worry about your driver having to wait for you. They are quite happy to do that. Its up to you what you do for lunch or dinner. They don't expect to be asked to join you but its up to you. You could give them a few extra rupiah to eat at a local warung if you would like and if you are really happy with their service you could tip them as well, but that is not expected either,

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,133 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about using drivers

Hi KMarie: I meet a lot of people who have similar questions so don't worry, it's a common question. Treetops is in the Botanical Garden which is a couple of hours drive (depending on route and other things you might stop for) and your driver will be happy to sit in the car and relax, be on his phone like everyone else, have a snack, chat with other people while keeping an eye on the car and your belongings etc. You hire drivers and their car which includes gas and usually parking, so when he is not having to concentrate on driving and not using up gas he is fine. In general I believe they would much prefer to have you enjoy yourself and not worry about him..rather than you have him drive your party all day with no breaks for him! Also, unless you hire a driver with a specialty guide license he is not really allowed to come inside a temple or attraction with you. People get arrested regularly by the police for guiding without a license in fact. So he will drop you at the entrance or parking lot and wait patiently and happily for you to come out. If there is a place where there is no parking and he has to go somewhere and find parking, bring his phone number and send him an sms a few minutes before you are ready to leave.

(This is also a good practice for being dropped anywhere..at a restaurant for lunch or dinner near Ubud when the driver might go home while you eat for a couple of hours.)

As far as eating, if you feel very good with the driver and want to continue conversations that you are having in the car for instance, you can offer to have him join you. Often he will prefer to have a break from continuous chatting with guests and want to eat his own type of meal, but sometimes you will hit it off so well he may take you up on your offer.

As far as a tip, it depends on the service he gives..many drivers become good friends, and serve as navigators, translators, cultural docents and so on. It's not mandatory so you can decide.

Also, if the driver drives you through a meal time -lunch or dinner for instance, it's a good practice to give them an amount for this, let's say rp 30,000- 50,000 to pay for a meal/snack and water or cigarettes (they will almost NEVER smoke in the car, and if they do, feel free to tell them not to. Also if they answer the phone or text while driving be firm and tell them to pull over or stop) I've never seen a driver smoke while driving but just covering the bases)

Also, you never pay in advance, you pay at the end of the day after services are rendered. If you love the driver and want to use him again and make plans he will almost always ask to be paid at the end.

australia
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about using drivers

Perfect advice from MM.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
44 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about using drivers

I was having the same doubts! Your information helps a lot! Thanks!

Reply to: Question about using drivers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted