We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dance performances

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
549 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
dance performances

I made a note 20 years ago when I visited Ubud, I wrote "I should have brought a cushion to the dance performances as the seats were hard". Is that still true, should I bring a cushion when I go in a few days? Also 20 years ago, we had to get to the dance about an hour early, is that still true?

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
4 replies to this topic
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dance performances

We went to the one at Ubud palace on wed or thurs? Yiu definitely need to be there at least 1 hour before. We arrived at 7.10 for 7.30 and there were no seats standjng only and not great views.....some of the other venues looked much better and quieter (sorry cant remember their names) when we passed by on other nights

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
322 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dance performances

There are at least 2 restaurants that offer dinner shows. Laka Leke and Arma resort. Reasonable, about 7 usd for the performance or 12-13 including dinner. Might be more comfortable than the crowds and standing room at the palace.

Mentioned in this post
Laka Leke Restaurant
Laka Leke Restaurant
660 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dance performances

20 years ago the crowds at the Ubud Palace were just as bad as they are now. This is one reason I highly recommend you visit other venues which have village groups and performers that are of the same if not higher quality than the Palace. I often go to either the Pura Dalem Ubud or the Arma Museum, I like those settings better (lovely old temple of the dead in the first case, lovely open parklike setting under old trees and backdrop in the second) .

Every evening there are about 6 - 8 different programs in different venues in Ubud... the last time I took friends to the Pura Dalem we arrived about 15 minutes ahead and got seats in the front row. (not necessarily true all the time however)

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Arma Museum & Resort
Arma Museum & Resort
379 Reviews
Ubud, Indonesia
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
549 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dance performances

We do plan on going to a different dance performance every evening. Question is, are the seats still very hard?

Reply to: dance performances
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted