We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galungan Tips and Impacts

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Galungan Tips and Impacts

Hello,

We are planning our final details for our time in Ubud. We will be in Ubud during the start of Galungan May 29-31. We’ve read about the start of Galungan here:

https:/…

We are interested in seeing Ubud while Galungan is going on but also are looking to visit the areas sights - do a cooking class, explore Ubud, bike, Sunrise hike of Mt. Batur, Tegalalang rice terrace, etc.

Are we going to have issues with this? We’ve already contacted a cooking class that will be closed all 3 of the days.

Any other tips regarding Galungan would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,133 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galungan Tips and Impacts

I just looked at the blog you mentioned and it could be taken as slightly misleading, I am sure not intentionally. It's definitely not like Christmas!

As far as booking activities, you should do what you have already started..eg checking with each provider to see if they are going to be open during this time. Most places will be either closed or services cut back, perhaps fewer staff and shorter hours. Balinese will be very busy making offerings and doing rituals at home. Many eateries will be open after lunch and some smaller ones closed for a day or so.

Do keep in mind that the day after Galungan is when Balinese have their own holidays so roads will be crowded at parks and recreation areas - not just at the beach as the blog mistakenly mentioned.

Once nice thing that you will see are the very young children taking a "practice" Barong (not the real God) from place to place and doing a short gong and Barong performance lasting a minute or so. You can donate a little money to them as Balinese traditionally do..say 10,000 rupiah or so.

Brescia, Italy
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galungan Tips and Impacts

I will also be in Ubud during the Galungan.

My plan was to leave Ubud the 31th of May that should be the day after.

Do you suggest to stay one day longer in order to avoid mess on the roads?

Thank you,

Michele

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,133 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galungan Tips and Impacts

Do whatever you had originally planned. It's not that there will be so much crazy traffic (more than usual) but that families will be out at parks and so forth.

Reply to: Galungan Tips and Impacts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted