We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightlife in sanur?

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
166 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
nightlife in sanur?

Hi guys, hoping someone can give me a bit of a feel.for what the nightlife is like in.Sanur in august. We arent looking for nightclubs and go go bars (sorry, im using thailand as a comparison), but looking for lots of places to eat, some nice bars, people watching, night markets with local food. Am i on the right track?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Here are two links that probably you will find useful to your post:

…indahnesia.com/topic/388/0/night_life_in_sa…

virtualtourist.com/travel/Asia/Indonesia/Bal…

http://www.gotosanur.com/sanur-night.shtml

Someone with real experience will probably post for you soon!

All the best!

Edited: 14 July 2012, 10:10
Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nightlife in sanur?

You will find everything that you have mentioned in Sanur. The nightlife here is a lot busier than a lot of people realise.

You will not find it in the larger hotels. There is live music in many bars/ restaurants. Check around and find the places that have cold beer at reasonable prices. These are the places that attract groups of people.

By cold beer, I do not mean the lukewarm rubbish that makes you want to throw up after drinking two or three of them.

If you want to listen to live acoustic guitar music until 6 AM it is available. Or if you want to sit in an open air bar listening to live music on Sunday afternoon it is also available.

Crazy Horse is possibly the best Balinese band currently playing. They do a gig at Rocket Bar on Tuesday evenings and at Arena on Friday evenings going into early Saturdays. Their lead singer (Benny) does a solo gig at Ducks Nutz on Wednesday evenings and again on Sunday afternoons.

Moonlight bar has various guitarists playing. Linga Longa has good quality music every evening. The crew there are primarily Sumatran with guest artists coming and going.

Laser has live music but until they have cold drinks it is not worth going there. The Country Club has the the same problem as Laser. Why bar owners believe they save money by turning their refrigeration off at night is still beyond me.

Along with various friend my Sunday will often consist of listening to Benny from Crazy Horse singing at the Ducks Nutz from 2 PM. At 5 PM he is replaced with a Sumatran trio. Around 7 we wander down to Linga Longa to sample the pig on the spit (this is normally served from 7.30.)

They have a 5 piece group playing until around 9.30. As they finish a different crew of three or four take over until some god forsaken hour that I have never seen

Away from the nightlife there are numerous nice places to spend your day. During the day wander along the beach and sit under the trees at Sanur Bay restaurant or head further south to Tities Bar. These types of places are wonderful spots to sit but basically ignored by tourists.

Isara has great Thal food, there is a bar restaurant that overlooks the pool. Grab a drink, a snack and dabble your toes in the pool. The people you see there are mostly people who live here.

If you appreciate music go to the Cavern Bar and check the music memorabilia on display there. You will probably have to take a note of some of these names because very few local taxi drivers even know they exist.

Edited: 14 July 2012, 10:51
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Other options for good live music would be The Cat and Fiddle and The Wicked Parrot (but this place can be patchy for service and IMHO expensive compared to other places).

Warung Pregina have live music some nights as well.

It really is just a case of walking along the street and you will see heaps of places to be entertained in Sanur. Most places will have signs posted out the front listing the entertainment for that night, especially if you staying in the mid section of Sanur around the area of the Griya Santrian and Villa Shanti.

Some of the restaurants also have traditional dancing shows as well. Cinnamon is one of these.

From what you are describing that you want I would say it definitely has to be Sanur over Seminyak.

SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Thanks for the nightlife ideas never you there was so many, hope to try them on the next stay.

Sanur is still up there as a favourite.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Cempaka & Whinnie are both spot on......especially if you can get a certain notorious well known Sanur member to take you around..........:o)

I have been to places where even angels would fear to enter and have not laugh so much for a very long time.

Roll on December, I will be back there again to sample all the good things of life.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
166 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Thanks so much guys, sounds like theres plenty on at Sanur, and i guess we can always get a taxi to seminyak to check out the "world class" bars if we get really curious! :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
583 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Thanks Cempaka, keen to have a listen to Crazy Horse while we are there. Hopefully they still are doing friday nights in Sanur then. :)

london
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Casablanca's is a new place next door to the three monkeys restaurant we popped in last night for a few.

Really well designed, great live music, great cocktails and friendly owners.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
587 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nightlife in sanur?

Sounds like things are changing all the time in down town Sanur. Cannot wait to get back to my home away from home ... Cempacka it seems like you have covered it all regarding Sanur.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 20:36
Prague
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nightlife in sanur?

To be honest, Sanur nightlife is what you make of it. If you have some friends to hang out with, you can have fun. But, don't expect great bands that play original music (all cover bands, most pretty bad) or a young, hip crowd. In a further blow the places that used to be good for a late night (On-On Billiards, Angels) now have to close by 12:30 because of new rules by local government. That leaves Zoo, TKS, maybe Lazer that stay open past then. Sanur is still an early night kind of place. But if you get bored Kuta is 20 min in a taxi.