We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali Women

Which Kuta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grays, Essex
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bali Women

Hey.

I heard that there are women in Kuta who approach men at night and ask if they would like some company. Is this true? I have never been to this part of the world before.

Thanks

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali Women

Hi!

The world is the same wherever you go! The world is full of people from all walks of life, religious beliefs and occupations. Bali is no different!

If you are seeking company in the way in which I interpret your question, please, be very careful in all aspects.

There is a very high incidence of HIV/Aids in Asia, there are also people who are not what they may appear to be.

Finally, this is a family friendly site and questions which may be considered too blatant in that regard may be removed.

All the best

wendy

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali Women

Hi again JD.

There are indeed bars where the bar girls working there seek out the company of Western men, or vice versa. This is not unique to Bali. Be aware however, that these may not necessarily be Balinese women, and also be aware that these may not necessarily be women.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali Women

Be careful, they will profess to love you longtime, but their hand may just be caressing your wallet rather than your bottom or chest. :) :)

They may not be quite the gender you expect as well.

Many will approach you on a motor bike.. especially late at night and early hours of the morning when they think you are a bit inebriated. I strongly advise you to decline.

AS wendy said, if you are enquiring where you can procur,,, this ain't the place :)

Grays, Essex
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali Women

Some of your feedback made me laugh but much appreciated.

I was not looking for company, i was just wary on what type of women there were in Kuta at night.

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali Women

It's not just at night. You will be asked in broad daylight on Jl Legian if you are walking on your own or even appear to be. If you are travelling with a female partner, just ask her to walk a discreet distance behind or in front of you and see how long it takes.

Just for the record, while I have no problems with this activity, and in fact I have 3 or 4 Javanese female friends who ply their trade this way in Sanur, I do have a problem with it if the women are "contracted". If anyone is in the market for some company like this, please ensure that the women are there because they want to be, not because they have been sold or are working off a debt to their "handlers". And just for the record, this practice in Sanur is a lot less obvious than it is in Kuta, you actually have to go looking for it, and the girls I know are very honest, hard working and great fun. I can guarantee that if any of them were in a bar or restaurant you wouldn't pick them as doing the job that they do.

perth
Destination Expert
for Denpasar, Bali
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali Women

How true, Whinnie!

Years ago, our son who was 12 at the time, returned to the hotel, from an early morning run on the beach at Legian. He said a man had stopped him and asked if he wanted to buy some "mull", when our son declined, the man then asked if he wanted "jiggy-jig", to which my son replied that he did not have any money on him, but would go and ask his mum for some!!!! lol!!!

Anytime, anywhere!!!

wendy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali Women

Hi Whinnie..Its the realistic approach to this situation which I admire in your post..I doubt too many males will be asking bar girls about their financial arrangements at 3am in the morning in a bar half tanked or for that matter will receive an honest reply..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali Women

In my experience, contracted ladies aren't free to be working in bars, the customer comes to them or contacts the "agent" to arrange for the lady to come to them. I'm no expert but this is the way it works in the places I know of.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali Women

I am sure this happens quite often..You also have instances of girls having to pay back loans and are able to "freelance"..The possibilities are infinite..

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali Women

hi "JDMan" as per whinnie's post #5 i agree 100% for some reason when ever we are out walking no matter what size group im in i always seem to be'Tail end Charlie' and find myself well behind the group (usually cos ive stopped to talk to someone or ive found something interesting in a shop) and almost every time this happens i get "Offers" and not always from women either sometimes its guys that i can only class as 'Pimps" do the asking, i have a great SOH so i usually make a joke of it ,but no matter what time of day or area im in, Semynak.Sanur,Tuban,Legian,kuta,Ubud it happens,thats life and i have no problem with it,a friendly smile,a polite "no thanks" usually works just fine, my trump card is it to point out my wedding ring,most of the girls will go "very sorry" and that is usually the end of that

its all part of the "magic" of Bali,go with the flow, relax and enjoy your holiday

cheers john

Get answers to your questions about Kuta