We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring Scooters in Bali

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring Scooters in Bali

Hi Guys,

Last time i visited we hired a scooter for the day and were fine, just wondering 'what if" the police pull us over? I heard from the locals you just pay the police about 50,000 rph and drive off...But that was information from the guy that was trying to get us to hire the scooter off him.....

Anyone have any feedback from times they have hired them.

I see no sense in getting a international license as my travel agent told me i wouldnt be covered as i dont have a motorbike license in perth.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

Hey, we hired a scooter and didnt get pulled over, but i have had friends that have gotten pulled over and they just gave 50,000rp to the copper.

Otherwise we normally get an international licence just incase.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

Hi Simone

Thanks for your reply:)

so with your friends, did they just offer the money or do the police ask for it? im sure you wouldnt get in trouble for offering a bribe like you would here but yeh

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

I would be more worried about NOT being covered on your travel insurance if you had an accident.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

The police ask for it basically and then you just give it to them.

But to be honest, the international licence for my partner was something like $20....its so cheap and well worth it.....

Make sure you have travel insurance too :) When are you off there?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

I thought about getting the international license because i heard they were that cheap, but my travel agent told me that technically riding a scooter in bali your not covered unless you have a motorcycle license in australia? i thought it sounded weird too...seeing as here is aus you dont need a motorcycle license to ride a scooter...but i might pop into the RAC and double check on that and if it covers it then il get it for sure :)

Il be in bali on the 12th of May until the 21st :):):)

how about you simone?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

Yeah doesnt hurt maybe just go check with RAC.

Look lots of people get the scooters and hire them and dont get picked up, just wrong timing i guess.

Were in Bali from the 5th May - 20th May....really looking forward to it!!!! :)

We'll be in the Kuta part...you?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

Yeh kuta at the Grand Istama Rama :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

Oh never know my partner and i might bump in to you both hahaha :)

Enjoy your time :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

I also considered the "scooter hire" bizo...but have been a bit scared off about some of the info I've read on Trip Advisor. There are a few lengthy discussions only a few weeks back on TA from some "experts" (where are you hercules??). See if you can go back a few pages and look it up...because is scared me off!

I will be in Bali 15-25th May and intend to go to Lembongen where scooter riding is supposedly fab because there is minimal traffic (ahh...sounds like Rotto!). But got nervy when ready the TA forums.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiring Scooters in Bali

Hi Hollyw00d86,

Hiring a motorbike (scooter) in Bali is a fun and cheap way of getting around. However it is fraught with danger. The traffic is mad and the biggest issue is that your travel insurance will not cover you for medical expenses if you have an accident over there if you do not hold an International Driving Permit AND a motorcycle licence in your home country.

In WA you can ride a scooter up to 50cc on a car licence, however most scooters in Bali are 110cc or 125cc.

Here is a link to a previous series of posts that cover this topic in detail

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k428…

Have fun but importantly - Take Care!