We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

Which Jimbaran hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

Hi,

My husband and I along with 2 kids will be travelling to Bali for the first time in March and I cannot decide for my life what beach is our best choice, perhaps someone can help us. These are our priorities:

1. We want nice & quiet clean beach where not too many tourists are tripping over each other

2. Snorkling and some other activities such as horse back riding etc are available.

3. I'd like to be at a beach where after kids go to bed I have an option of going to some bar closeby which stays open late.

4. I was thinking Intercontinental @Jimbaran or Hyatt at Sanur. what do you think?

Please advice, appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks a bunch.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

You really need to move quickly on this as it may be a case of which resorts have vacancies.

Jimbaran is nice but the area is a little out of the way in my opinion. And I'm not sure if there is too many places open late close by that aren't part of the resort.

Sanur has most of what you are wanting but it doesn't have horseriding and the best snorkeling is up in Amed about a 2 hour drive away (this is the case for Jimbaran as well).

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

Jimbaran does not have a good swimming beach.

You may need to forgo snorkelling if you want to be able to go and have a bit of social activity at night as the best is in places like Amed and Lovina.

You can always go for a 1 or 2 nt stay there.

I suggest Sanur, but there are nicer hotels than the Hyatt.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,754 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

sounds like sanur would suit you. the beach is suitable for children and you can do a bit of snorkeling there but don't expect quality snorkeling. you can consider a bali hai cruise for example and they have a great snorkeling platform in the ocean and a sort of semi submersible 'submarine' which you can see the most amazing coral and fish. ( they have a web site) otherwise you can snorkel somewhere like Amed. there are other water based activities at sanur near the hyatt such as parasailing, jet skis, banana boat etc. you can also get a driver to take you to serangan to see the turtle conservation program. the turtles are worth visiting and the kids can feed them. they come right up to your feet. You can also hire bikes for all the family and make use of the paved path which stretches the length of the beach. Plenty of restaurants on the beach front to choose from as well as on the street. . if you want to leave the kids i suggest you arrange a baby sitter at the hotel. the bali hyatt is a great hotel and they have a great bar with some light entertainment should you wish to stay on the hotel property. You can arrange bali island horse to collect you from sanur to take you on a sunset ride. the trip there passes through lovely scenery and is well worth doing. If you give your budget per night some other suitable hotels can be recommended.

Singapore
Level Contributor
137 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

I've stayed at Sanur Hyatt before and I didn't like it. It was too far away from Kuta (hence, not much shopping, and after dusk, Nusa Dua turned too quiet for my liking)

The hotel was huge, pool was great, but food wasn't. Bfast to me, was mediocre.

I've also stayed at Kuta and Legian before... Hard Rock at Kuta, which was PACKED with tourists, and was really noisy, the beach was too full of people and hawkers.

Legian on the other hand was really cool, I liked it a lot. We stayed at O-ce-n Outrigger, which was SOOOOO nice, I love that hotel. The beach was also quite empty.

Have fun in Bali :)

Bali
Level Contributor
327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

Dear S,

answer :

1. Nusa Dua beach , Sanur and Jimbaran Beach or myabe the Bukit / Uluwatu !

2. i think you can do that at Nikko Hotel in Nusa Dua..but i think thats camel ride! im sure they have horses as well..

3.well Jimbaran Seafood place is the best for eat at the beach...and Jimbaran to Seminyak and kuta just about 20-30 minutes maxxx by taxi ride.

4.Intercon has one of the best services and location, beach, nicer rooms..and one of the best kids club and babystitter/nany service..

hope that helped

J

Bali

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,285 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

Hi,

We were in Bali last August with our two kids, and liked to moved around the island. But of course, that is personal, I don't know the age of your kids.

Every place on Bali has it own character, and so have the beaches.

We liked the beach of Sanur, because it was cosy, and nice to cycle along the "boulevard ", But not good for snorkling.

Amed because of its snorkling, very quiet, calm sea, suitable for kids.

Lovina to watch the dolphins, but not a nice beach area

Pemuteran for snorkling, horse riding and relaxing in a quiet place, sea suitable for kids. Kids loved this place, they watched also the turtles there.

(Horseriding and Turtles at Reef Seen resort, next to Amertha Bali Villas)

Kuta upto Seminyak for long walks, (but we did not like Kuta itself, only the beach), but too dangerous for small kids to swim in the sea.

But as said, I was so happy to stay in every place around 3/4 days, and then looking for new adventures!

Have a nice holiday!

Kind regards,

Sylvia

7. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 March 2010, 20:35
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

Budget is also a big factor. There is a Bali Best Beach wiki in the upper right side of the forums page. You can check there for beach info.

Nothing at all wrong with the Intercontinental. Location is very convenient, only 10 min from airport, no noise, close to beach cafes, and a few restaurants. The beach here is very un-touristy, you can see a real working beach fish wholesale market about at 20 min walk down the beach. The far end is occupied by the Four Seasons, very low key. Intercontinental has a great Indonesian restaurant, nice beach side bars, and other bars/restaurants nearby.

Nusa Dua Hyatt is probably better for family with kids than Sanur Hyatt. Lots of pools and activities, best beach on Bali. Also consider Club Med, same.

All the resort areas of Bali are going to be touristy to an extent, but its no problem.

9. Re: Confused about what beach to stay at in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2010, 16:16