We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

Which Jimbaran hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

Hello All,

Going to visit Bali for the first time and would like to stay in the Jimbaran area, but be able to travel into Ubud daily. Is that possible? Or should we stay 2 nights in Jim and 2 in Ubud?

Suggestions please!?

Anywhere else better for beach/relax other than jimbaran? I also looked a Nusa Dua, but it seems like it's a bit far out...

Many thanks..

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

Hi, it's really not a big place, i think your mapss gone weird!! ..it's about 20-25 mins max in a taxi from jimbaran to Ubud - this will set you back about 35,000 rupiah (a few quid/peanuts by uk stds) by bluebird taxi each way...

We've stayed all round Bali a few times but would only go back to Ubud for the arts/crafts/stalls & not to stay. The ubud rice feild veiws/more ramshackle villa's are great but more cosmopolitan feel of villa's (and just as chilled in Bali style) to be had by the coast.

Hiring a car would only set you back £30 a day and driving is a doddle in Bali (they drive on the left / same as UK)..

Stay in Ubud if you're an ageing hippy / just visit Ubud for shopping if youre under 40 i'd say / Jimbaran & Nusa Dua are the best areas, I'd avoid Kuta (cheesey/touristy) but each to their own.

whatever you decide - you'll go back - i promise you that!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

Hi brbellinha

With no disrespect intended, I must say that I started off my day by having a really good laugh when I read Hugwort's comments in his/her post regarding Ubud but especially the bit where he/she states.... "Ubud is for ageing hippies and the shopping being for the under 40's...."

Please have a look this link and read the postings which are all about Things to See and Do in Ubud - especially the one written by Rob1 from Canada which gives very detailed information.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k297…

Yes it's true that there are no beaches in Ubud but if you want to experience the true Bali then you must definitely stay in Ubud. Beaches are a "dime a dozen" but Ubud is unique.

It is very rich in culture and it is the home to some of Bali's best restaurants, cafes, and there are streets of shops which sell a range of goods from the region's artisans and craftmakers. The only way to immerse yourself in Ubud's culture is by staying there and experiencing it for yourself.

I am a frequent traveller to Ubud and there is always something new to see and do and I always seem to stay longer each visit. It would be an injustice to not stay in Ubud.

Cheers... Princi62

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

I would not recommend a daily commute to Ubud. The roads up the mountain are a little tiresome, but its doable if you really had to. Also, you will spend more time in traffic than would be optimal. Better to just stay in Ubud for a while.

Drivers are only 350,000-400,000 rps/day including car, a bargain.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

I had to laugh too!

Ubud has some of the best Villas on the Island (and is actually where most of the 'private jet types' stay! I had to physically withstrain my sister a few years ago from stalking David Bowie on the Streets there !)

Ubud besides the beauty and cultural aspects has some of the best restaurants on the Island - Moziac, Lemak and Terrazzo to name a few... definitely worth while for dinner...

I would definitely try and spend a night there.. maybe on your last night (if your flight isn't too early in the morning the next day)

BTW driving yourself to Ubud is seriously crazy! Especially as it costs nothing to hire a driver - and then you can enjoy the beautiful and interesting scenery (I drive here because I live here and I don't even attempt to drive up to Ubud - its a maze with kids on bikes everywhere!)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

Another thing - it is definitely not 25 - 30 minutes to Ubud from Jimbaran! more like well over an hour++ depending on traffic.

Not sure when the other poster was here but it would definitely not cost 35,000 rp! by taxi! (that wouldn't even get you to to Kuta these days!) Taking a blue bird taxi is however an option - just be aware they will charge another 30% of the fare for going out of their 'zone' Also there are no meter taxi's in Ubud so you will need to organize transport with a private driver or the hotel to get back to Jimbaran/ Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
160 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

I agree with BrigidE. Definitely NO to commuting daily between Jimbaran and Ubud! It's at least a one hour journey! Anyway, part of the fun of bali is staying at a few different areas for as long as you can to soak in the different vibes of the different areas! Jimbaran's great, but there are some really lovely, luxurious places in Ubud too! And the padi fields have a whole different charm. Have a taste of both areas!

7. Re: Jimbaran to Ubud? Daily commute trip possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 18:16