We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

6 posts
Save Topic
Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

We are a family of 6 and we are planning to do a detour in Agra on our way to Dehradun from Hyderabad. From Hyderabad we will take train (AP Exp) to Agra and stay overnight. I am looking for some good train options to reach Dehradun.

We will be arriving in Agra Saturday morning, spend most of the day in Agra.

On Sunday I would like to see Fatehpur Sikri and Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. Then on Sunday evening (after 4 pm), we would like to leave for Dehradun.

There's a Bhopal-NDLS Shatabdi Exp at 8:30 pm which arrives in New Delhi around 10:45 pm.

There's a New Delhi - Dehradun AC Express departing at 11:55 PM which might work but I am worried about 1 hr 15 min for train change. Is that possible, anyone see a problem in this plan?

I couldn't find a direct train to Dehradun on a Sunday. And I didn't wanted to change stations in Delhi as we will have luggage. If the above option does not work then most likely we will rent a one-way taxi to delhi and catch 11:55 PM train on our time.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Level Contributor
1,694 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

I think shatabdi express would not be late.

The most reputed train in india.

Agra, Uttar...
Level Contributor
650 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

Hi InfiniteTravel,

Sometimes Shatabdi also gets late & we have seen that in past. Although you have some 1 hours 15 minutes gap to catch your train to Dehradun but to be very honest with you, you cannot rely completely on Indian Railway. Shatabdi gets late for some 20-25 minutes on an average but god knows whether on that day will it reach on time or not?

The best thing for you would be renting the taxi to Delhi. You can continue using the same taxi that you have hired for Fatehpur sikri & Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. After visiting these destinations you can continue with your onward journey to New Delhi without being doubtful about catching your train to Dehradun.

Also note that there isn't much difference in fare of 6 tickets of Shatabdi & Taxi to New Delhi.

Happy Travelling..

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

There are many train options from Delhi leaving from different station of Delhi like Hazrat Nizzamiddin and old Delhi stations.

You can also look for bus options there are day and night services buses leaving from Agra and Delhi. There many buses leaving for Dehradun from Delhi at different times of day AC and non AC and Volvo buses. Uttarakhand bus transport corporation provides good service and connectivity from Delhi.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 14:41
New Delhi, Delhi...
Level Contributor
703 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

It's better to take a Toyota Innova from Agra for a Delhi drop. It will cost you around 5-6 K.

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

Thank you all for your responses. It seems taking a taxi to Delhi is recommended based on our timing and to guarantee on time arrival in Delhi.

@Deepak - I did not look into buses option as I prefer Trains over Buses.

6. Re: Possible options to reach Dehradun from Agra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 14:16
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question