We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trip to Agra

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
46 reviews
Train trip to Agra

Can someone please advise me about the trains to Agra. We would like to take the train on Wednesday 26 th of September and wondered what time the trains go, how long the trip takes and are there express trains. We would like to go preferable in the early afternoon or at least not in the early morning as we will have only arrived in Delhi late the night before. Thank you for helping me with this query.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Train trip to Agra

Hi Bronte19,

Kerala Express train starts from New Delhi junction at 11.30 Am daily and reaches Agra cantonment station at 2.25 pm This is an Express train with pantry car facility Journey time 3 hours

Note there are other trains start from New Delhi Junction and Hazrat Nizamuddin junction which is another station from Old Delhi

To get more details visit www.erail.in website type new delhi to Agra at station via box you will get many train options

with regards,

Alen_10

Edited: 15 June 2012, 11:11
agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Train trip to Agra

You can also look at www.cleartrip.com , www.via.com, www.indianrail.gov.in to know about different trains and book them.

deepak

Agra
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Train trip to Agra

in afternoon there are ample of trains which move towards agra

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Train trip to Agra

Your fist hurdle will be to actually book the train from abroad, as same day travel isn't easy in India..So you will need to book from abroad, a task in itself, or spend two nights in Delhi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Train trip to Agra

Thank you for your responses....I shall give this some more thought but I also wondered if there is only one station in Delhi to take this train from or are there different stations in Delhi? Again, what is the station called that I want in Agra to visit the Taj Mahal? Thank you.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Train trip to Agra

New Delhi and Nizzamudin are the two stations where the majority of trains leave from..

http://erail.in?T=NDLS::AGC:

Agra, India
Level Contributor
461 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Train trip to Agra

Taj express would be the best option . if you donot want to go but you can check www.seat61.com or www.cleartrip.com.

But the best option would be shatabdi express.It starts little bit early at 6am from new delhi railway station and it takes 2hrs30m to reach at agra cantt railway station .

You can catch it back on same day by 8:30pm from agra cantt railway station.

Regards

Pradeep

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
99 reviews
8. Re: Train trip to Agra

In 2009 we took the 2pm "NDLS JBP SUP EX" (Jabalpur Super Express?) from New Delhi to Agra because the departure time was convenient for us and the train was supposed to be fast. Booking was simple enough using the IRCTC web site since I had an Indian bank account due to working in India.

The trip itself was quite disappointing despite traveling in air-conditioned 1st class. First of all the traffic made getting to the New Delhi station with our luggage and our child's stroller very slow. The departure track was in the middle of the station and access required traversing long staircases. Fortunately porters were available, but they were quite obnoxious and demanded a huge tip. Entering the car made a rat scamper away - not the most comforting sight when traveling with a young child. In the end the train was also running much slower than scheduled, so the trip took about an hour more than we had planned despite a roughly on-time departure from New Delhi station.

We had planned to take the train also back to New Delhi, but after the outward trip we did not hesitate to hire a car and a driver for the return. The total travel time was quite comparable and being delivered door-to-door from one hotel to another was a much better experience. Cancelling the return ticket and getting refunded to my bank account worked as promised through the IRCTC web site.

Staying in Southern Delhi and starting out from the Nizzamudin station might have provided a better overall experience.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
263 posts
46 reviews
9. Re: Train trip to Agra

Thank you very much for all this info. I think I shall go by car , it sounds easier and less stressful, even if longer. I shall try and do a trainntrip somewhere else on our travels.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Train trip to Agra

If travelling by car then make an overnight trip. It will give you enough time to visit all the monuments in the city.

deepak