We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM card scam Indira Ghandi Airport

Darwin, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
SIM card scam Indira Ghandi Airport

Upon arrival at Indira Ghandi airport on an international flight and after locating my transfer service to a hotel, I asked where I could get a SIM card for my phone. I was directed to an Airtel kiosk. I provided my passport which they photocopied, and I paid 800 rupees. I was given a number to call to activate the SIM card. They also provided what was purportedly their phone number to be called if there were any difficulties. Needless to say, the SIM card could not be activated, and their phone number did not work. Numerous people tried to activate it, including people in the phone industry. One such shop told me I had been cheated. Two lessons: 1. Do not purchase a SIM card at the airport. 2. Get the person from whom you buy the sim to activate the card.

My friend also purchased a SIM card which could not be activated. The kiosk was doing roaring trade. Many people will have lost their hard earned cash at this kiosk. Once you have left the arrival hall, passengers cannot return to question the kiosk and receive a refund.

3 replies to this topic
Agra, Uttar...
Level Contributor
994 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIM card scam Indira Ghandi Airport

Many Thanks for sharing your experience. It will help others.

Regards

Walks By Arif

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,725 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIM card scam Indira Ghandi Airport

Try taking the SIM to an Airtel official store near you. They are usually quick to sort it out. The Airtel/Vodafone booths at the airport are usually not scams. Something may have gone wrong with your documentation, the official Airtel store will fix it for you. Do not go to small shops and kiosks, they cannot help rather they misguide you into buying another SIM from them.

Level Contributor
752 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIM card scam Indira Ghandi Airport

Very informative for others Travelers.

Reply to: SIM card scam Indira Ghandi Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agra
Recent Conversations