We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

Which Jodhpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

Traveling to Rajasthan soon and would like to buy furniture and antiques. Can anyone provide names for good shops in Jodphur, Jaipur and Jaisalmer that could ship internationally? Thanks!

34 replies to this topic
Jodhpur, India
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

Dear bieneDC,

You must try to contact at "Pukhraj Durry Udhyog". This place out of city you will find very best quality of durry/rugs. and they will help you for all kind of handicraft also. and thay can send internationaly container and packages.

you can call them at- +91 9414720724

Regards

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

Ganesh Handicrafts 84-85 nai sarak, outside clock tower, jodhpur rajasthan.......We were here this summer and discovered this place by chance. The shop is small, but people are very helpful and made us very good prices. We drank tea and discussed and even took a picture of the owners with us. It was a magic moment

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

I would steer clear of Maharani Art Exporters. We went and bought some furtniture from their warehouse early in the autumn, having originally been taken to their store near Umaid Bawan Palace. They seemed very professional and experienced in shipping when we visited, but since placing the order they have made absolutely no contact and they are ignoring all emails and phone calls. The furniture should have arrived at least 6 weeks ago by now. I can only imagine that the people we dealt with have pocketed the money we paid (thankfully we had sense to not pay all the money) and are thieves. Obviously if they do make contact and actually deliver the furniture I will re-post a more favourable review, but as it stands, I do not recommend strongly enough that you avoid this company like the plague!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

Be careful with Maharani Exports whether in Jodphur or Udaipur. In Jodhpur I was asked for 3000 rupees when he was not supposed to pay it and another employee asked me for money for his "collection". In Udaipur an employee delivered the merchandise to our hotel room and then asked "do you have something for me?" Also be careful you might not receive what you ordered.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

There is a perfect place in Jaipur - The Fine Art Palace, when in Jaipur contact me on 9828220140.

Akshat (Virasat Journeys)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

UPDATE to post made on 10 Feb 12: Our items finally arrived - nearly 7 months after we ordered them! One of the three items was very badly damaged (beyond being able to use it) due to poor packaging, but we are very pleased with the main item (which was packaged well). It's just a shame that we were told they would arrive in 11 weeks rather than the 6 months it actually took. And it's a shame that the company are very poor at communicating, which does rather lead you to assume the order won't materialise.

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
461 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

hi,

My advice is to buy from Rajasthan Government Owned shops; the price will be fixed and you get the quality stuff.

Cheers

Agra
Level Contributor
145 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

Dear bieneDC

Deepa is right

Bradford-on-Avon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

I have bought container loads of furniture in jodhpur twice, and both times, Maharani were involved and both times I was let down by them. They took much longer than they said to deliver, they sent different items from what I ordered, and their communication was unbelievably bad. I wouldn't touch them again

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally

I don't know that I have a good place to recommend, but I do strongly warn against Ajay Art Emporium in Jodhpur. BUYER BEWARE!!! Will share my story below in the hopes that others learn from my mistake... :(

---

I spent 6 months living in India with my husband and we had been pleasantly surprised to find that many of the rumors and warnings about scams in India proved to be untrue... until we shopped here. Visited the shop twice over the course of a weekend and ultimately decided to buy a painted paneled screen. Ajay and I negotiated a price, including insurance, packing, and shipping, and it was to arrive within 4-6 weeks. Shipping documents were to arrive within 3 weeks.

Eight weeks later, nothing. No shipping documents, no correspondence at all, and certainly no screen. I followed up countless times via e-mail and telephone, was only able to get a response once I filed a claim with Visa.

At 10 weeks, Visa suspended of the charge (withheld the amount from his account, credited back to mine). Not surprisingly, I received shipping documents within the week, indicating that the screen didn't leave Jodphur until many many weeks later than promised.

Once it arrived, we got slammed with $400+ charges in customs fees and shipping (on top of the $565 I had paid per our agreement, which was to include shipping). I spent countless efforts trying to contact him - he had specifically said, in front of my husband and parents who were visiting, that shipping was included in the $565 we paid via credit card.

In sorting it out with Visa, it turns out that though Ajay verbally said shipping was included in our negotiated fee, he wrote "freight" on the receipt, a detail that, never having shipped anything abroad before, none of us noticed. Visa maintains they see this scam pulled constantly. They were incredibly understanding and sympathetic, but informed me that if he'd written "shipping" as discussed instead of "freight," it would have covered the shipping fees + customs fees. Instead, it covered only the amount of money required to get it on the boat. Getting it off the boat was at my expense.

A $325 screen wound up costing me $1,000! A sorry sorry mistake. Shop elsewhere, and scour reviews to make sure they are reputable.

Reply to: Shops that ship antiques / furniture internationally
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted