We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veg Voyages

west chester PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Veg Voyages

Has anyone done a tour in India (Rajasthan or other areas) recently with Veg Voyages? The last posts are a few years old, and many were removed, which concerns me a bit. We will be a family of 4-6 traveling next winter (January 2012).

72 replies to this topic
Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veg Voyages

Yes, I went to Rajasthan with VegVoyages in 2007, and I also went with them to Malaysia in 2011. I'm already booked for their trip to Thailand this coming October. I think they are awesome!

January 2012? That's almost over. I assume you mean 2013?

Do you have any particular questions? I'm happy to answer them.

Eric

Rockville, MD, USA

west chester PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Veg Voyages

Eric- Thank you for the reply and, yes, I meant 2013. My questions have to do with the quality of : 1. guides 2. accommodations (I want clean, simple is fine), and food. I think our dates for 2013 will not work with their posted trips, but I would like to use them in the future. Thanks.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veg Voyages

Sure thing! The guides are excellent! It's a small company, and they really make an effort to give everyone personal attention. When you travel that far, and to a country like India, you REALLY have to trust your tour guides. I absolutely do! They were recommended by a friend/local veggie travel guide, and the groups are limited to 10 people on their standard tours. They have "special" trips with VegNews magazine where there are about 30 people. I'll be taking my first combined trip in October to Thailand with them.

The accommodations were very clean. It really varied though. In some areas the places were very basic, while in others we stayed at palaces as guests of the Maharaja. They're all up to western standards. There are western toilets, toilet paper, air conditioning, etc. You can't expect proper bathrooms on the road, but definitely at the hotels.

The food was excellent as well. Oddly enough, my biggest disappointment with the food was that it was too bland. I'm white-European looking, and so were the rest of the folks on my trip. The locals assumed we couldn't handle the spices and dulled it down. At one point Singh-ji, the tour leader, provided us with some "local" samosas, and we FINALLY got to have some "real" Indian food. We nearly burned our mouths off!;-)

With the food, it's natural for non-Indians to get "Delhi belly". Almost everyone on my trip (including myself) did at some point. We all drank only bottled/filtered water, used hand sanitizer, etc. but it's just going to happen. I wouldn't want that to scare you off, but I also don't want you to think it's all wonderful and joyous. It usually lasts for just a few days, and as long as you stay hydrated, bring over the counter meds, etc. all will be fine in a day or two. Once your body adjusts you'll really be able to enjoy your trip! You'll also want to be careful about sunburn, bring plenty of bug spray, and make sure to drink plenty of water so you don't get dehydrated due to the extreme heat.

They have a lot of trips throughout the year so hopefully you'll be able to work something out. I was quite pleased with their Malaysia tour as well.

west chester PA
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Veg Voyages

Thanks so much- this is helpful. Unfortunately the dates for our trip do not match with one of the VegVoyages adventures next January (we will be there for a wedding and the trip leaves on day 2 of the wedding), but hopefully in the future.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veg Voyages

Sure thing. Hope it works out in the future!

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Veg Voyages

I highly recommend traveling with Veg Voyages . We just returned from their 2012 India tour and it was an incredible experience. They go way beyond the regular tourist trap sites and give you a look at the real india. The food was consistently amazing. The tour guides were knowledgeable and friendly and anticipated your every need. Yoga each morning was great! I can't imagine doing this tour with any other group!

Burlingame...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Veg Voyages

I just returned from a VegVoyages trip to India and it was by far the best tour I've been on! The team at VegVoyages not only provided many unique travel experiences for our group, they executed the trip so seamlessly that all we needed to do is be present, sit back and enjoy. I most definitely will participate in other VegVoyages trips as I am now incredibly spoiled. They took took such great care of us (from arrival to departure)...we were all blessed to spend two lovely weeks in Northern India with VegVoyages as our guides.

Berkeley, California
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Veg Voyages

I, too, was on a recent VegVoyages trip to India (Feb 2012), and it completely exceeded my expectations. There wasn't one activity or experience that I wish had been different. They built the itinerary in such a way that each day got better than the last, and things were already pretty great right out of the gate! Sofna, Zac and Singhji were so welcoming, thoughtful, knowledgeable, and focused entirely on the enjoyment of everyone in the group at all times. I grew up in the hospitality business, so I'm no stranger to what it takes to actually provide an exceptional experience, but these guys took everything even a notch higher. We will DEFINITELY travel with them again, and can't wait for the next adventure. Don't hesitate to travel with VegVoyages. I know I won't!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Veg Voyages

VegVoyages is simply the best. They are kind, generous, and go out of their way to make the trip a joy for all of their guests. I recently completed my third trip with them in as many years and will take another with them next year. The food is magnificent and the cultural experiences cannot be compared with any other organized tour - you simply will not find another tour company quite like this one.

roma
Level Contributor
86 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Veg Voyages

I came back from Laos with VegVoyages less than one week ago and it was my secondo trip with them. Everything has been perfect, thery are fantastic! I am a little jealous, so...don't go on holiday with them, I want VegVoyages for me, go away! ;.D

Never travelled with a tour company in my life, now I can't imagine anything better

:-)

Reply to: Veg Voyages
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted