We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Week Itinerary

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
4 Week Itinerary

Thank you to this forum so very much for all your help so far and I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions on this trip

Whilst the intinerary may seem somewhat rigid, it’s our intention to adapt it giving us more, or less days in areas, as we go along, depending how we feel. We are the sort of travellers who prefer to get a “taste” of countries, rather being able to “tick” it off.

We have shortlisted accommodation, but will most probably just turn up (apart from Cochin) and negotiate, as March isn’t peak season. Touts please don't waste your time pm-ing me with accommodation or tours suggestions/offers. I have read over 90 pages on this forum and IndiaMike (this is also posted there). So have a good idea. I've asked if I want help. So post here if you want to help

Day 1 - Arrive Cochin 03.50 am, struggle through customs and hope that our pre arranged home stay taxi is waiting! Hopefully room is available, grab some sleep and then venture out into the heat for some exploration , Sim card and ATM.

Days 2 & 3 – Exploring Cochin

Day 4 - Ferry , Bus or Train to Cherai Beach (Which is the better method, considering we will have our backpacks with us? We prefer the ferry, but how far from the jetty is it to the beach accommodation and can this be done by rickshaw)

Day 5 – Leave Cherai Beach and travel to Eranankulam Town Train Station (By rickshaw?)

Train to Ottappalum and overnight here

Day 6 – Pooram at Ottappalum keralatourism.org/event/festival/chinakkatho… We still do not have confirmation that the Pooram is actually taking place on March 10th. So this part of our travels are still up in the air.

Day 7 – Train from Ottappallum to Thalassery (Maybe a quick look around here?)

Then a rickshaw to a homestay on Kannur Beach (Most probably Ezhara Beach house)

Days 8 & 9 – Kannur exploring beach and surroundings. Theyyam hopefully

Day 10 – Rickshaw into Kannur town and then bus to Mananthavady, (Jeep to possibly Varnam homestay) (We are thinking that we may have to pre book this homestay, as there doesn’t seem to be much else around this area and also it will be Saturday, and I’ve read that Wayanad gets busy at weekends?) (Or does anyone have some recommendations for places in Kalpetta? Budget max 2,500 INR, after negotiation)

Days 11 & 12 – Exploring Wayanad, (Most probably have to book this through the homestay?? Or are there other options, for comparison prices. Bearing in mind we have no transport)

Day 13 – A big journey! I did ask about Wayanad to Munnar and it seems the best way is back via Cochin. But we don’t really want to retrace our route. So this is our plan

Bus from Mananthavady to Kalpetta (1 hour?) Bus from Kalpetta to Gudalur and then bus to Ooty (3 to 4 hours from Kalpetta?) Stay overnight in Ooty

Day 14 – Most probably bus from Ooty to Coimbatore. Toy train leaves too late in the afternoon.

Once in Coimbatore we will most probably have had enough of buses, so think we will take a taxi cab down to Munnar (Any idea of what this should cost for the return journey?) (If we take a cab, will he stop on route for pictures etc, or will he be like an F1 driver wanting to get back to Coimbatore as quickly as possible? The later I suspect) We thought that it would be cheaper to not hire a car and driver from here for the next part of the trip, due to the return cost from Periyar (see later)

Days 15, 16, 17 & 18 – Exploring the region - Hire a car and driver in Munnar and keep him for the trip to Periyar . (I read that most hire their car and driver from Cochin for their travels. But what would be the best option in Munnar? From our homestay, from a tour shop in town, or simply off the street, as we did in Sri Lanka?)

We think that this many days may be too many in Munnar (maybe not). We had intended to travel over to Madurai, but have found that the temples are covered over for restoration. So that’s why we have these days here. Madurai will wait for another trip.

Day 19- Slow drive to Periyar (Kumilly)

Days 20 & 21 – Explore Periyar and surroundings. Have read lots of info on the sanctuary. At the moment we are going to give the boat ride a miss (seems like it depends on the amount of noise your passengers create). Bamboo rafting maybe. But edging toward the 2 day overnight Tiger Trial, at the moment.

Day 22 – Say goodbye to the driver (Maybe, depends on cost and how much we have handled the buses!!) and catch the bus from Kumilly to Kottyam. (Then maybe take the ferry to Allepey? About 2 hours ) (Or bus, or richshaw, or taxi?)

Find a homestay – 1st choice Malayalam Lake Resort (Depends on whether we can manage without A/C – will have found this out in Kannur)

Days 23 & 24 – Explore the backwaters etc. Feed the mosquitos!! Decided against a houseboat as it seems great but too touristy and prefer to visit local areas from the homestay by canoe or Country boat

Day 25 – Take the tourist boat from Alleppey down to Kollam, for a relaxing day. Then take the train to Varkala. But will stay at Odayam and visit Varkala, as it sounds like Varkala is turning into the new Kovalam

Days 26, 27, & 28 – Explore and relax and pack ready for home

(Our flight leaves Trivandrum at 04.30 in the morning. Should we be able to catch a taxi from Varkala to the airport OK? – (any idea of cost?). Or would it be better to go to Trivandrum and stay there overnight (not our preffered option)?

Phew, that’s our holiday over already!! Time for the next one (Malaysia and Australia in October to January– now that’s a big trip)

Thanks so much for your patience reading this far – you are all great. I promise I will post a report once we get home

JoeSandles
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

Wow - what about putting a donk on it?

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

Think I'm a bit too old for Blackout Crew!!

You can't twist to it!!

Anyway back to on topic

3. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 March 2012, 02:57
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

Thanks RoFrankMumbai

Here is the link for the pooram again - it didn't work in the main post

keralatourism.org/event/…

Don't think we will be around for the Pooram at Thrissur as it seems to be 3rd May, (from the info here)

www.keralatourism.org/festivalcalendar.php

This is were we got the info about the Chinakkathoor Pooram

The number of days in Cochin/Cherai is mainly to get over jet lag, explore at leisure and to kill some time before the Pooram on the 10th

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

Infoaddict,

Pity about missing the Thrissur pooram. It is huge. I have not been to the other one, but the picture on the link suggests it is a very poor cousin of the Thrissur one. Perhaps someone else can give an opinion.

Regular temples are a part of daily life in Kerala as are the various Syrian Christian churches with their rites dating back to the beginning of Christianity (yes, even before Christianity reached Europe) and mosques. The devotion and deeply religious nature of the people is at variance with the largely Marxist philosophy in the political sphere in this state. Watch out for the various red flags all over.

Keep an eye on bandhs, hartals, strikes. Essentially stoppages for some political cause or the other.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

Thanks again RoFrankMumbai,

At least we will get to see a Pooram (which we now have confirmation on) and who knows maybe we will be the only Johnny Foreigner there!!

Temples, yes we will try and visit as we travel

With only 3 days left before we leave I just wondered if anyone could help with any of the unanswered questions?

Thanks

7. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 03:34
8. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Week Itinerary

Thanks again Deepak - your knowledge is fantastic

Day 4 - We will be leaving Fort Cochin and think we will take the ferry to Vypin island and then by rickshaw to a homestay = Kadalkkara lake resort (http://www.kadalkkaralakeresorts.com/).

Day 5 - We have already booked the train from Ernakulam Town station. However, if, as you say Alwaye (Aluva) station is better/closer, do you know if we can get the train from there using our same tickets? Or do we have to go Ernakulam Town now we have booked it?

10. Re: 4 Week Itinerary