We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerala recovery progress

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
5 reviews
Kerala recovery progress

Hi Traveller / Friends,

This is about our God’s own country – Kerala which is on the path of recovery now. Firstly a great news that I would like to share is about the way the Kerala government is putting its efforts in ensuring its people’s health and safety on priority. By God’s grace there are no epidemics which is a good news and cleaning works are in progress in an aggressive way in many parts of Kerala.

As far as the road condition is concerned, Madurai to Periyar road is open and vehicles are plying on this road. Periyar to Kumarakom road is also open, Cochin to Coimbatore road is open, Cochin to Kovalam road is absolutely fine.

With regard to Munnar, please note a three day aggressive cleaning campaign is in progress starting from 28th to 30th August as part of Kerala State Governments’ initiative. So right now road has been cleared and small vehicles and light duty vehicles are able to access the road. Cochin to Munnar road is fine. Eravikulam National Park remains closed as the road access to park and Rajamala is completely damaged and would take time for restoration. I personally feel there is no point in taking clients to Munnar now as they are coming for Holiday and there is no sightseeing for them to enjoy in Munnar. Moreover we don’t need to show them the cleaning work and recovery progress. So I need time till September 5th to let you know exactly the status of Munnar and when it will be ready to promote again.

Periyar activities covering spice plantation, Kathakali show are working now. However Eco tourism activities run by the Wild life Department is expected to start by 1st week of September.

Regarding Hotels, in Kumarakom, please note few of our clients stayed in Kumarakom Lake Resort couple of days ago and their stay was aboslutely fine. Even East End lake song is operational there. CGH Property - Coconut Lagoon officially announced that they will be operational from 10th September onwards. As some of the hotels’ landscape got damaged, I am hoping that Hotels in this area will be operational completely from 10th September

Likewise, in Alleppey, some Hotels are getting ready with clean up works in progress and few hotels are already in operation. Guests have started staying there and they are fine. By second week of September, Alleppey would also be ready to accommodate all guests.

All Houseboats in Alleppey are ready for operation since yesterday (Monday, 27th August). Couple of Houseboat companies did operate their houseboats yesterday. However still clogged water in boat jetties are to be cleaned up. So, clients are picked up by Motor boats from boat jetty and they are transferred to houseboats. A team of people are working to clean up Boat jetty, which would take at least a week for the boat jetties to be ready.

Please note we give houseboat cruise to offer an experience of backwaters and lifestyle of people on the banks. Right now, all houses are going through a massive cleaning process. So, I don’t think we need to show the cleaning up works to any of our clients as it would only give a negative image. Hence my personal suggestion is to start promoting houseboat cruise after 5th September as things will be ready by then.

Trust this update was useful to you.

Regards,

Jitender

Go My Journey

59 replies to this topic
3 posts
1. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Thank you for the update. Please share the chances of Munnar sightseeing returning to normal by November...

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Hi Tasneem B,

Yes you can make your travel plan for November and hopefully all will be recover by September end.

Regards,

Jitender

Go My Journey

Edited: 28 August 2018, 23:06
3 posts
3. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Thank you mr. Jitender

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
555 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Thank you for your update. Please keep us updated about progress. I'm traveling to Kerala in January and would very much like to know what is going on in the region.

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Thank you so much for this update Jitender. Good to hear things are getting better and the recovery process is in full swing. Very grateful for your thoughts and sensible suggestions.

Many thanks and best wishes

5 posts
6. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Thanks a ton , we have planned for 29th sept-3rd Oct, need your honest feedback , do we need to cancel.Munnar 2 day , 1day allepay houseboat stay and 1 day Cochin

We can't decide , so please help

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Hi Prasanta s,

Thanks for asking but at the moment the is Kerala on the path of recovery but I will definitely give you update by end of September first week.

Regards,

Jitender

Go My Journey

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
8. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Hi Jitender

Thanks for the update. This information was really necessary as I have planned a trip to Kerala in the third week of October 2018. We are planning to visit Munnar, Alleppey and Kochi. With such a catastrophic event that Kerala have gone through, will it be desirable to visit Kerala in the month of October with the recovery in progress? Do we need to cancel the trip?

It will be helpful if you could give some information and suggestion about what to be done .

Regards

Soumyajit M

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Hi Soumyajit M,

For october month travelling I am sure no need to worry for Kerala visit. Rest of we should have to wait by mid september all picture will be clear.

Regards,

Jitender

Go My Journey

2 posts
10. Re: Kerala recovery progress

Hi ,

We have already booked everything for a 4 days trip to Kerala on Sep13-16, 1day house boat in alleppey 2 days in thekkady and 1 day in vagamon on the way back to airport . Only hotel is booked in thekkady ... is it safe to come as we have one 3 year old kid as well .? And is thekkady and vagamon accessible from Alappuzha via road and then back to kochi from there ??

Reply to: Kerala recovery progress
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted