We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Guwahati, India
10 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Hi, we are planning to tour of Kashmir from 21st October at Jammu Station and return flight from Srinagar on 29th October at 7.15 A.M. We are 2 couple with 4 children and my elderly mother. We plan to Visit first for a darshan of Mata Vaishno Devi followed by trips to Srinagar, Sonmarg, Gulmarg, Pahalgaon etc. We also wants to see snow for our children to enjoy. Can we get a good tour programme. Please also suggest about this security checks at Srinagar

airport. also please suggest good hotels and houseboats of deluxe categories. we are vegetrarions,

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

ghyjiten

Suggestive itinerary -

21 : Arr. Jammu, transfer to Katra. Check-in freshn-up, start for Darshan (if you are going by helicopter, start next morning).

22 : Back to Katra after darshan and transfer to Pahalgam.

23 : Pahalgam – Aru, Chandanbari and Betaab Valley.

24 : Pahalgam to Srinagar. Check-in houseboat, shikara ride on Dal Lake and shopping.

25 : Srinagar, transfer houseboat to hotel – sight seeing - Mughal Gardens, Hazratbal, Sankaracharya Temple

26 : Day trip to Sonmarg.

27 : After breakfast transfer to Gulmarg, check-in hotel. Afternoon - roam around green meadow.

28 : After breakfast - Gondola ride to Affarwat and snow activities. Afternoon - free at leisure.

29 : Transfer to Srinagar Airport.

There will be 3 tier security check at Srinagar airport. You should be there 3 hrs before departure time.

Hotels can be suggested as per your budget.

AshisRoy

Edited: 20 August 2012, 22:17
Guwahati, India
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Thanks Mr. Ashis for your reply. Our return flight from Srinagar is at 7.15 Am on 29th. So when should we leave from Gulmarg and at what time should we reach Srinagar. Again when should we leave our hotel for Srinagar Airport. Please also suggest good hotels and deluxe houseboats. One of my friend has strongly advised for Dastan Houseboat with booking for 3 three rooms which will give us the houseboat of 3 rooms for our exclusive use. Also let me know if good cook is also there or not in the houseboat to prepare food as per our requirement. Range for hotels is approx Rs.3000/- .

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

You should back to Srinagar from Gulmarg on 28th afternoon. Start from your hotel latest by 4 am for the airport. You have to pass through 3 tier security check at Srinagar airport, which is time consuming. Schedule reporting time is 3 hrs prior departure.

If your friend has experience of the said houseboat, you may follow his advice.

You may try the following hotels in Srinagar - Imperial Lake View, Nehru's, Blooming Dale, Zamrud Hotel.

AshisRoy

Edited: 21 August 2012, 03:04
Guwahati, India
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Thank you once again, i have been suggested the following hotels. Please advice is it ok or we should look for others. Your advice will be invaluable.

Katra Hotel White

Srinagar Hotel Welcome /shah Abas

Phalgam Hotel Paradise /Baisran

Gulmarg Hotel Gulmarg Resorts /Al pine Ridges

Also please suggest any other houseboat if you are not sure about dastan. Also how is the rush at this time of the year in kashmir.

Regards,

ghyjiten

Edited: 21 August 2012, 04:25
Guwahati, India
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Thank you once again, i have been suggested the following hotels. Please advice is it ok or we should look for others. Your advice will be invaluable.

Katra Hotel White

Srinagar Hotel Welcome /shah Abas

Phalgam Hotel Paradise /Baisran

Gulmarg Hotel Gulmarg Resorts /Al pine Ridges

Also please suggest any other houseboat if you are not sure about dastan. Also how is the rush at this time of the year in kashmir.

Regards,

ghyjiten

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

The mentioned hotels in Srinagar and Katra are good. But the options for Gulmarg and Pahalgam are relatively lower standard. Which can be Heevan or Pine Spring in Gulmarg and Alpine Inn or Heevan Hotel in Pahalgam.

AshisRoy

Edited: 21 August 2012, 16:13
Guwahati, India
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Thanks Mr Ashis,

I have one more query which i would like to know. My friend told me that to visit Pahalgam, Gulmarg and Sonmarg we have to use pony for some time. Is it true as my mother is of old age and she cannot ride pony comfortably.

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Pony ride is not essential for sightseeing in these places. In Pahalgam, Aru, Bettab valley and Chandanwadi can be done by car (local car only). In Sonmarg, Thajiwas Glacier can be done by car and In Gulmarg, ride the ropeway for Affarwat, walk around the meadows, there is no steep gradient. So, nothing to be worried as such.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 17:12
Kolkata (Calcutta...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Hi,

I am going to Kashmir with my parents in October.....

People are telling that we have to take private cars for visiting Gulmarg, Sonmarg and Pahelgam, which I find quite costly....

I want to know whether any good bus services are available for visiting those places?

I also want to know is their a possibility to share the private cars with other tourists as it is done in most of the hill station like darjeeling, sikkim and nainital?

Thank u in advance and waiting for your guidance.

Papiya Sarkar

Edited: 22 August 2012, 17:14
India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Kashmir in October 2012

Hi,

There are JKSRTC bus service from Srinagar to Gulmarg, Pahalgam, Yusmarg and Sonmarg. The fares are as follows :

Srinagar-Yusmarg-Srinagar Rs.223 (Both way), Srinagar-Gulmarg-Srinagar Rs.223 (Both way), Srinagar-Sonmarg-Srinagar Rs.237 (Both way), Srinagar-Pahalgam-Srinagar Rs.283 (Both way).

For bus timings, you may contact to TRC SRINAGAR : 0194–2457927, 2472644, Transport department – 0194 2455107.

Getting shared vehicle would be difficult between these places.

AshisRoy

Edited: 22 August 2012, 18:03