We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very disappointed with Goa...

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
204 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Very disappointed with Goa...

I know that most posters on this forum are regular visitors of Goa and this will get alot of criticism. This is my opinion/feeling only. I hope it will help those who are on the fence about visiting Goa. I've read a lot about Goa prior to making a decision to go there. I guess I came with too high an expectation and felt quite let down.

We stayed at the Lemon Tree hotel in Candolim. The hotel is nice but only if you stayed within its compound. Once you stepped out of the hotel, it's a total chaos! The traffic and dirtiness that we've known and expected from India is there. I guess for those from Europe or nearby areas, it can be an affordable beach holiday but for us N. Americans, Goa is simply too far and too expensive for a not very enjoyable beach holiday in my opinion.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
331 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Hi Travjud

I am really sad you did not enjoy your holiday as much as you hoped you would. It is true that Goa is a place you either love or hate. I suspect there is something about the place that taps into the psyche of us Brits and hypnotises us to turn a blind eye to the mess and madness? I don't know but I can understand it might well be somewhere that would not appeal to a lot of North American's.

I do feel for you because you work hard and expect to enjoy your holiday (Vacation) and it is such a let down when you have not enjoyed it as much as you hoped.

Wales
Level Contributor
700 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

A collective sigh of relief is in order, please tell all your friends not to visit, in football parlance India 1 NAmerica lost.

Jersey UK
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Hi

Well at least you have tried Goa,

I have been going many years, I to was a bit shocked how dirty it was on the stretch of road from Doña alicini going left..it was filty....

Usually take a right from the highland or i am in a taxi so not noticed till the night we walked...

I think they should try clean up a bit?

Maybe one fine day?.

Mims

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

I agree there are nicer beaches in the world, so if it's just the beach life you are after then going somewhere nearer would be better - however - if you leave the beach belt, there is so much more of Goa to see and it is also a good starting point if you want to see more of India if you have not been before.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Well I had to google it and find out....

Vancouver to Goa non-stop: 16hrs 11mins

and if you go via say Montreal or Chicago then Doha it can be between 27 to 30 hrs

and we think we have it tough!

Edited: 07 March 2012, 09:42
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Fundamentally, though, it's the Marmite effect - you either love or hate India!

Mind you, I've noted another post on here about the advberts pushing India as a mass destination from the US and have only two words for that - no chance

Edited: 07 March 2012, 10:02
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
848 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Hi there, no one is going to criticise you for having an opinion...well im not anyway...you tried it..you didnt like it...simples...at least you can say youve been....Its a totaly different holiday to say the carribean, and its been said many times before..you love it or hate it...The rubbish ect will always be a problem and we wouldnt put up with it anywhere else so dont ask me why we do there..lol . For us its the total chill factor, the people, the food ect.

Good luck in finding your next destination x

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Who would want to stay within the hotel compound after travelling so far anyway? As you said the traffic and dirt you expected as this is India after all! Good luck choosing your next destination.

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

It's a shame you didnt like Candolim, but you it does sound like you should have "known and expected" the Indian traffic and dirtiness. Candolim is quieter than Calangute or Baga, and slightly less chaotic, which is why we choose it. It does need a damn good clean up though. Perhaps the politicians will turn their attention to important things like that rather than banning booze.

But as others have said, it does seem to suit the Brits better than any other nationality.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Very disappointed with Goa...

Thank you for your honesty regarding your trip to Goa. No one should critise you as these are your opinions and that should be respected.

I have many friends who have been and absolutly hated it!!! In fact on our first trip back in '96 we saw people kissing the tarmac before getting on the plane as they were so glad to be going home.

Its a big world out there and we all like different things - I hope your next vacation is a lot better for you.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim