We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

Just returned from Candolim yesterday will do a report later but just wanted to make everyone aware if you are travelling with Thomas Cook you may have to pay excess baggage !! I say may as some people seemed to get off with being over but we didn't we were 7.5 kilos over and had to pay £70 the people right beside us were 4 kilos over and didn't have to pay someone else was 3 kilos over and had to pay £30, also some people were getting thier hand luggage weighed too

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

I wonder if anyone had thier foot on the scales.!!!! always take your own small hand scales, and flash them at weigh in. They do not then find it so easy to charge extra.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,110 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

I hoped you paid with a credit card and not cash monkey.

scotland
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

we had a flight to Aberdeen once we got back so weighed our luggage before check in and it was not quite 7 kilos over we took some things out and put it into hand luggage and got to Aberdeen without any more charges. We paid half with rupees we had left and half on credit card.

I am going to write to Thomas Cook as there are so many inconsitancies for example we paid for 20 kilos ( 15 is standard ) and had to pay the excess baggage which is fair enough but when you hear other people didn't have to pay for thier excess and worse that people got 20 kilos without paying extra also when speaking to others at our hotel it turns out we paid about £200 more than they did, I know prices can change but still !!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
31,390 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

monkey

If you book through Thomas Cook you get 15kg but if you book through Direct Holidays you get 20kg. so possibly the people that hadn't paid extra had booked through Direct?

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

The inconsistancy of the check in staff has always been there and it doesn't just apply to Thomas Cook. It's basically the luck of the draw when it comes to checking in, some staff go by the book and some are flexible.

The best way to avoid any extra costs at check in is don't over pack.

scotland
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

ahh thats interesting note to self book with direct next time thanks for that Leyland :-)

scotland
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

Bindoobaba you are right about the overpacking!! we left behind all our toiletries/sun tan lotions but we did buy a bedspread and a wall hanging which were heavy, love the bedspread not sure about the wall hanging !!!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,201 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

monkeyhols, hope you start to like that wall hanging if it cost you £70 in excess baggage lol.

If necessary I pay extra to increase the allowance to 20kg of luggage and have never been overweight on checked baggage though I do put a few items in OHs suitcase as he doesn't take as much as me. It's well worth spending a few pounds on some of the hand scales so you can check the weight before you leave.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

Thanks for the info.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,972 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook - excess baggage beware

I agree with Vurda, I always have my scales in my hand where they can see them. its not just Goa either when we came back from Egypt once I think we were the only people on the flight didnt get screwed for excess weight and every cash payment went straight into a pocket! Mind you, they got me back, my padlock was broken off and my suitcase riffled of anything worth having when I got home.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim