We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike Hire

Montpellier, France
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bike Hire

We are off to Goa the end of the year, looking forward to returning to Cavelossim, the beaches, the curries, cannot wait. We want to hire a motor bike or sMycooter for the 3 weeks we are there - any recommendations for people hiring bikes? Not the tatty ones for rent outside the Hathi Mahal/Dona Sylvia,sometrhing a bit better but not too expensive - want the best of all worlds I suppose! My o/h is an experienced bike rider and he usually gets an International Driving Licence - nobody has ever asked to see it but we are well prepared if they ever do.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike Hire

We rented a nearly new 50cc moped - looks like a scooter sort of thing, only 370k on the clock, in perfect conditon, plus helmets, plus as much help as you needed on anything at all. Guy was called Lancaster Andrade, Safe Special Services, not sure I can post any more details otherwise I may be advertising! Just impartial advice really. Load of bikes around in April but not so sure about the busier time, most of the ones I saw where a bit on the "tatty" side as you so rightly say, not sure about safety!

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike Hire

we rented one this year, arranged it through our reception at "Mobor beach resort" got a a decent scooter . it was filled with fuel. had a great time exploring around the different villages. you gotta go over the ferry and explore, "fantastic".

hope you get fixed up, BOB.

Nottingham
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike Hire

I would echo lovetravelling's comments. We have hired from Lancaster for the past 3 years and have always had really nice bikes. We always book though through his website as his bikes and scooters seem to be very popular. He also delivers to you for a nominal fee if required which we find extremely helpful.

Fylde Coast...
Level Contributor
301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike Hire

I've met Lancaster - he seems like a nice guy - if any of you met him, ask him the names of his Children, you'll be surprised!

Lancaster lives in Cansaulim which is approximately 20 kilometres from Cavelossim, so that's probably not practical for him or you.

Just have an ask around when you get there, an experienced biker will be able to tell a nearly new or well maintained bike/scooter from a death trap on wheels - the state of the tyres, chain & bodywork are usually reliable indicators about the state of the brakes, suspension & engine.

A.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike Hire

broadbentandy, yes we were slightly suprised at his childrens names! Still I am a fan of that series as well.....

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike Hire

broadbentadndy, we stayed in Luisa by the Sea this April (in Cavelossim) and Lancaster got one of his boys to deliver the bike for us so Cavelossim no problem at all. Its worth emailing him to see if he is ok with the distance, but, as I said, we had no probs this year.

You do need to be careful who you hire bikes from as some are not in good condition. We saw what could have been a very nasty accident, couple of guys on a scooter on the road to Margoa, when the stand came down and hit the road, throwing the scooter across into the oncoming traffic and dropping it down onto the road. Luckily there wasn't much traffic at that moment and they only suffered a few bumps and bruises........but.....doesn't bear thinking about.

7. Re: Bike Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2010, 16:17