We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here in Cavalossim.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Here in Cavalossim.

well, after starting out a day early, because of the snow and ice, we finally made it to goa about 5 hours late.

The flight left gatwick about 1-1/2 hours late. then came the next problem. when we got to, well what shall i say, the airspace above dabolim airport, we circled for about 1/2 an hour.

then the captain told us he couldn't land because there was another plane blocking the runway, and they couldn't move it !!!!! i now believe this to be the first choice plane that was due there just before us.

Either way, he was getting low on fuel and had to divert to bombay (mumbia). when we got there we sat on the tarmac for about 2 hours or so, while he refuelled. then came the next wait, a signiture from an official to say we could leave. think that must have been done in quadruple triplicates, or something.

Anyway, we eventually got off the ground for the 50 minute trip back to goa.

Plain sailing from then though.

Hotel Mobor beach resort is OK . friendly staff and nice and clean.

Quite like Cavalossim, but rather different from the north, to which i'm used to.

Tried Joe's rivercove restraunt, very nice enjoyed the food and the embiance. that goes again for the goan heritage.

Probably try Mikes place tonight.

found the prices to be higher than in the north, also some of the places we've eaten, have not been that good. (however nice they look from outside). i think it's going to be difficult to find as many good places to eat down this end.

Still thats not all we're here for. the beach is really nice, and we are using a quiet beach shack by th name of "lonely place" nice friendly place. limited food there though, still we only have a snack any way.

We took a day trip up to Calangute and Baga today, to look up all our old freinds, that was nice. took bout 1 -1/2 hours each way in the taxi.

74.40 was the exchange rate in Calangute today. and the weather is, well, HOT.

Well thats it for now, back to the kings beer and honeybee.

Glad to see your weather is improving, cos' i've only got another 13 days here.

BOB.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Hey Bob, greetings from sunny Brighton – well the sun came out about half an hour ago but still cold and the forecast is rain and colder tomorrow, so make the most of that wonderful weather. Think certain parts of UK are in for more snow tomorrow too.

We were at Dabolim awaiting your flight for our return home so we had the pleasure of an extra 5 hours sitting in the airport, worst of it was they ran out of cold beer!

Wondered this morning whether you were away as someone posted a question about taking money and I thought where is Bob to tell them about Nationwide and ATM’s (the only way to go in our opinion too!!).

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and hope you find lots of good eateries.

Have a Kings for us!!!

x

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Hey Bob as you can see I did leave some honeybee for you!! Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Hi Bob

Glad to hear that you arrived there eventually and that the weather is great. Hope you got the beer that I left for you with Sue in the Mobor Beach bar.

I'd be interested to hear which restaurants weren't that good? We weren't impressed with 'Get Down' and OH was poorly after we'd eaten at Mike's though it might not have been anything to do with the food. I was fine but didn't have the same meal as him anyway.

Out of interest how much did you have to pay for the taxi 'up north'.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay - don't overdo the Kings and Honeybee lol.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Glad to hear you're having a good time, Bob, and arrived safely after the landing gear problem on the Thomson flight. The drama was fully reported in the local newspaper the following day.

I agree with you about the food in Cavelossim. I felt that the quality had decreased this Christmas - I wasn't overly impressed, although I did enjoy Joe's River Cove. Octima's was also quite good and is definitely worth trying out - the best loos in Goa too!! The food at the shacks was also a bit hit and miss - Dom's Beach Shack offered consistently good food & friendly welcoming service although thecentral location was a bit too busy, also the beach wasn't so clean there and there doesn't seem to be much cleaning/sweeping going on on the beach this year. I think the problem with the food in Cavelossim is that everyone has exactly the same menu on offer and it's all a bit samey! It doesn't have to be like that - if you take yourself off to Patnem, you will find quite different food on offer at the various beachfront restaurants and bars, more of an emphasis there too on fresh ingredients and lots of fresh fruit and veggies. It was sometimes a bit of a problem to find fresh fruit in some of the shacks or restaurants - Mike's Beach Oasis Shack by the Holiday Inn gets named and shamed for serving slices of pineapple that had the texture and taste of raw cauliflower; the waiter described it as a 'green pineapple' as if a gourmet foodie treat. I understand a 'green pineapple' to be one that is totally unripe and not fit for serving!

I did look out for you - I thought you might be out and about 'bus spotting' . Sure that trips into Margao on the bus would have felt a little less hairy had you been at the wheel!!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and bring us all back a little bit of that sunshine .....

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,267 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Tahnkks for all that guys.

Gemma. we paid 1500 rps for the taxi to calangute. had to browbet the driver to get it for that though. he wanted to charge waiting time too, but i told him i wouldn't pay waiting time and he accepted that, so i bought his dinner for him instead.

Sorry about the wait SNJ, i promise we didn't do it om purpous. Nightmare, fancy running out of cold beer, whatever next.

Yep, Nationwide card still works a treat.

Didn't go to mikes as it happens, we went to the jazz inn. thats close to the top of my list, for places to eat, we'll be going there again.

Londonraffles, thanks for your info.

about the bus driving though, i don't think i'm man enough the drive these buses.lol.

thats it for now, i think you know what i'm going to do now, thanks everyone for leaving some here for me!!!LOL.

BOB.

dorset
Level Contributor
545 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Hi Bob

We just got back from 3 weeks in Cavelossim, and can offer the following suggestions:

Food wise we ate at 3 places:

The Jazz Inn (try the Fish Tikka, it's great), and make sure you see Graham play on Weds/ Sats.

On the beach:

The Beach Hut (first one at the end of the main beach road). You might have to ask them to serve your curry 'Goan style' to get a bit of heat!

Fat Willy's - the last beach shack at the opposite end to the beach from Lonely Place. We also spent our days either here or at your end. It is nice and peaceful. They have a paved path behind the shack back to the main road if you are down there at night.

Try a couple of southern day trips. We took the bus to Benaulim (they will tell you where to get off) for 10 rupees, then walked along to Colva, taking a rickshaw back (about 300 R).

If you fancy a trip to town, get the bus to Margao and then a rickshaw back.

The buses stop if you flag them down, right outside Mobor Beach hotel.

Also - went to Patnem and Palolem down south. A very nice drive, which includes a ferry crossing. You see lots of 'rural' life on the way. This was bargained down to 1300 for the day. We were supposed to see Cola beach too, but ran out of time!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,378 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

pier21 - which taxi driver did you use? We paid 2000rp for our day out to Palolem/Patnem from Cavelossim. That was in an air conditioned car. I definitely need to haggle next year.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,599 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Hi Bob, glad you're having a lovely time in the sun :)

We also found the prices were higher in the south. Cavelossim does have a lovely beach though and the whole feel of the south is totally chilled.

So, would you go south again or revert back to the north next time?

Enjoy the rest of your holidays Bob and take care :)

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands
Level Contributor
17,523 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

On price I think it depends on where you go (similar to the North there are more expensive restaurants there too) The Palm Grove, Joe's, Hawaii, Johncy's amongst others still have great prices :-)

Villaricos, Spain
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Here in Cavalossim.

Hi Bob. Sounds like you're now settling in to a good time there after your journey 'Blip'. Have a really great time, and enjoy.