We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good-bye Goa

Batley, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good-bye Goa

Hi Everyone on the TA forum,

OH and myself have decided to sell our time-share in Goa, its really lost its magic, and after all 10 hrs on a plane to find rip-off taxis drivers. Sorry to say this but with rude russians everywhere, who say me no understand but can order vodka. They parade around the beach either topless (women) and the men with their ridiculous thongs. The lovely fishing village of Cavelossim now being changed with new developments and building everywhere. Even at the Hathaai Mahal standards have dropped. So sorry friends this will be our last posting and maybe we will return but to possibly Kerela. Thanks to all our friends for help over the past months.

As usual kind regards

Carol & John Kaye

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good-bye Goa

Hi

I can sympathies with what you are saying but things do change and Goa is no exception i have been going to Goa for 15+ years and i will say this, Goa is NOT Goa as it was then in my opinion it is living on its past reputation although i can see why alot of people who has just started going find it attractive, My days of going to Goa are numbed and i like you and a lot more people who don`t go to Goa anymore for various reasons will say good buy Goa it was good while it lasted.

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
428 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good-bye Goa

ive just came back from goa for the eighth time and must admit it my last,it has lost its charm.as someone said above,the taxi drivers are a joke!one tried to charge me 4 times the correct price to go csm to bottom of calangute high st!even the normally cheap tuk tuks are just a little cheaper than the taxis!.coupled with the ten hour flight,then the hassle and cost of the visas,it simply is no longer worth it.then there is everyone flying about on jetskis far to close for my liking to the beach,which is just a tragedy waiting to happen!.i realise a lot of people still love the place and thats fine by me,but as said earlier in post ive had enough.

Surrey
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
808 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good-bye Goa

We are off to Cavlossim on the 9th January and I have told husband that this is the last time to Goa. We were in Cavelossim last year for first time and were pleasantly surprised on how much better if was than North Goa, but certainly feel that this will be our last visit. Thinking of Vietnam or Cambodia for future winter trips. Agree that Goa is changing, not for the better, either.

Bury
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good-bye Goa

Unfortunately we are having the same thoughts, we love Cavellossim and have decided to give it one last try next year and can't wait to return but if the new Dona Sylvia development means it will be full of Russinas then it will be our last time. We are not Xenophobes and love meeting people from other parts of the world but we have experienced rude arrogant pissed up russians in Egypt and now Goa and we cannot abide them, one of them tried to start a fight with my partner on our first night when we were walking through cavellosim at 7pm, the guy was smashed out of his mind and just came over and said something in Russian, we walked off ,he followed and raised his arm and my partner brushed him away, his girlfriend pulled him away and he kept coming at us until she finally shouted at him and pulled him off in the other direction, all in front of my 12 year old son, it shook me up to encounter that agression in Cavellosim of all places.Its a shame but they will drive out the brits and then the goans will be left with the hastle of the russians.

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good-bye Goa

We've just come back from the Dona Sylvia and I cannot believe how miserable and rude the Russians were. It makes you wonder what these people are like at home! Me, I walked around with a stupid grin on my face from the day I arrived until the day I left - 'cos I was on holiday. On one occasion my husband was talking to one of the girls at reception and this Russian guy just went and stood in front of him about two inches from his face and just stared at him. My hubby just stared straight back and then walked away laughing, but anyone else would have punched him on the nose! Honestly, there is just no need for rudeness!

sussex
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good-bye Goa

OH and myself have been going to cavellosim for the last 16yrs we have seen many changes the first time it was just a peaceful little fishing village no rows of shops no saga no hati we still go for 8 weeks and still love it we have found the german and russian tourist no different to the british except a certain percentage of the british tourist constantly moan ie weather to hot,dont like the food where can we get a roast dinner and that any other nationality but british are rude arrogant and drink too much!

Sheffield U.K
Level Contributor
992 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good-bye Goa

I have not had much to do with any Russians i usually go to Baga or Arpora and touch wood i have always got on very well with other races so that is not a problem, what i am disillusioned with is the rip off attitude that is in Goa now not least the taxi drivers there has always been the sellers who quote you ridiculess prices but that was part of the fun and to them to but know a lot of things they sell in Goa are cheaper at home ie i went into an electrical shop in Calangute this year and they wanted to charge me about £12-13 for a sd card "fixed price" i have just bought five for £15.99 not to mention all the building work thats going on there now heaven knows what its going to be like in another ten years. By the way did you know that the russians have got there own Little town ship in Goa with the hammer and sickle flag flying high in it what other country would allow that

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Good-bye Goa

Hi there TheKayes.

What a sad message you have posted folks. January 18th 2009 is my 2nd visit to Goa and I can't wait. I have to say though, there IS a magic to Goa still, at least to me anyway. Maybe it's because i've grown up in a different era to yourselves and I see things a bit different to you. I think you have been among the lucky ones who caught Goa in the early years before holiday packages etc were invented and you were lucky enough to experience an up and coming GOA. No mod cons, no rip off taxis,no rips off anything really, not many foreign tourists, food as you could never imagine, wow I'm jealous mate. Thoughts go through my mind at the mo of you sat on beaches listening to the likes of the new then hippy movement, the sixties and seventy,s music and experiencing the Indian style of life,food and music. Fantastic mate. I missed just about all of that. I went to Goa for the first time 2 years ago expecting to experience some those vibes. I did at some of the places I went to. I did though think that if I missed those place places that Goa was not for me. How wrong was I mate?. Embarrassingly wrong. What makes me want to go back?. GOANS it's as simple as that. I'm sad you have lost your feelings for Goa and and the tourism it now attracts and the Goans wanting to make a life for themselves in our modern generation. Life moves on though and so do the Goans. With just about every place in the world being in an airplane ride from here to there you should expect changes,whether you like them or not. I think as long as we continue to visit Goa regardless of the new changes there will always be something in our hearts to want us to go back again. On the other hand if you do decide not to go back to Goa, India is a big place with plenty of places to go to. Where-ever you choose, I really hope you enjoy it as much as when you went to Goa for for first time and want to where-ever go, go there year after year like you have in Goa.

Goangrasshopper.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Good-bye Goa

goangrasshopper is so right,first went to india

about 30/35 yrs ago(yes,the hippy trail)been going

sparodically(sp)ever since,first time to goa about

1990ish,seen a lot of changes over the years,don't

go every year mind,just when we can get there,but

it is still so much better/nicer that torremilinos

is'nt it??

as for "the russians"most of the ones we have met there are far nicer than the brit lager louts we

have met there,including one we talked to who was

boasting that he'd only been arrested twice for

drunken fighting,(that must have been some achievment)

oh enough for now!!!!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Good-bye Goa

35 years ago Tomtaff?.

You never said you were that OLD buddy.

Blimey I was still C***ing in my nappies then mate.HA| HA|.

But at least you had the chance to enjoy Goa like thekayes1, family and friends. Hope you don't decide to not to go there again aswell.

Reading some of the posts lately it looks like I'm going to have to look at a different forum. What ashame.

Goangrasshopper.