We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

Leeds/Bradford
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

Stayed at the Makadi Spa hotel at the start of October (review is still sat pending approval for some reason!), and did a fair bit of off the beach snorkeling.

The reef directly in front of the Makadi Spa entrance gate is not so great. It's mostly rock with some dead coral, and quite cloudy water, but still worth a look, and good for beginners since it's so shallow.

3 minutes walk to the left (towards Makadi Palace), or 3 minutes walk to the right (towards Sunwing) both offer much better snorkeling. It's also possible to walk along the beach down to other hotels (fort arabesque, etc.) but to be honest it's not really neccessary.

Here is a video (including a few photos) for those interested in what the reef here is like. Highlights include a loggerhead turtle and a big ball of catfish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnct0cm43hU

(choose the 720p option for best quality)

Happy to answer any questions. :)

Edited: 24 October 2012, 22:36
Castleford
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

Excellent video TeamWeasel!

bangor
9 posts
2. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

Hi,loved the video, could you pleasse tell me if it is possible to hire snorkels and masks for adults and children, we are going to the sunwing hotel in Feb, would appreciate any help.

thanks

wellingborough
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

We are looking to go to the sunrise Royal Makadi bay.

Do you know if the snorkelling is good on that stretch of beach?

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

You would be better off if you buy your own stuff. Then you can make sure your masks fit properly, nothing worse than a leaking mask.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

My husband has a fear of deep water. So my question is how deep is it before you get to the fish and reefs as he really wants to snorkel and swim but is a bit bothered by it all. Me , I love it and can't get enough of swimming

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

How deep would he call deep?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

By deep, hmm we've been to sunrise holidays in hurghada and its about 20-30 metres outside the lagoon and that freaked him out

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

Well unless he is very tall he won't be able to touch the floor much over 6' , so logically it dosen't really matter how deep it is as he can't touch the floor anyway, weather its 7' deep or 700' deep.

I am not a strong swimmer but I wear fins and don't even bother with how deep the water is, as long as I know I am able to swim back to the beach/ jetty or boat.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

Fear isn't logical though. To him 7ft or 700ft would make quiet a difference.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
31 reviews
10. Re: Snorkeling in Makadi Bay

I do reailse it's difficult, I don't like heights but somehow depths are ok, can he pratice in a pool maybe, it just a matter of (trying!!!) to relax. The red sea is very salty so you are far more boyant than in our sea or a pool., maybe if he had a shortie wetsuit he would feel more secure.

700 was just a number, but it is something to bear in mind.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 20:05
Get answers to your questions about Makadi Bay