We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Walsall
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

I am thinking of booking a holiday to Hurghada in October, my holiday party will consist of myself and my wife and my 20 month old daughter. Myself and my wife are very worried about the unrest and the protests etc as we will have our daughter with us and this is her first holiday abroad.

Has anyone visited Hurgharda recently and witnessed any unrest / protests / violence of any description ?

Hope so one can help..

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,207 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Hi,

Please keep an eye on the FO website:

https:/…safety-and-security

You can see that it says Hurghada has had limited protests with no violence reported to date.

The overall situation is unpredictable & 'fluid', so nobody can give you any guarantees of safety; you'll have to decide if you feel it's right for you & your family at this time, or near future.

Useful news sites:

http://english.ahram.org.eg/

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/World+News/Africa/Egypt - news every 5 mins

http://en.aswatmasriya.com/

Regards

Notts
Level Contributor
637 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

i think if you read a lot of the replies, on here to questions like yours, you will see that all of the people who have just come back have seen nothing at all, and a lot of them said they only found out what was going on, by watching bbc news in there rooms, hurghada is miles away from the troubles, we were out there 4 or 5 years ago when it was very bad, and we still saw nothing, i would have no hesitation in going and the egyptians will love your baby, book your holiday and enjoy,

regards sandie

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

I'm going there myself in October. You can't possibly get any reasonable information from people who are there now or who just got back, as it's an evolving situation!

It could get better, it could stay the same, or the country could be in civil war by October, who knows? And If it is, nowhere in the country will be safe. You'll just have to wait and see I'm afraid......

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

https:/…egypt

Great Yeldham...
Level Contributor
567 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Got the page. Do I just sign up for 'email alerts' ?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,207 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Yes :-)

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Hi I have just returned from Hurghada 8/8/13 with 5 adults and 3 children 11.7 and 15 months, spent a week there at sunrise select crystal bay, beautiful hotel no complaints no problems, visited Hurghada one evening by taxi shopped, and no problems, went to Cairo for the day pyramids, sphinx, museum lunch on the nile etc beautiful and saw no problems at all except of course the armoured vehicles and tanks surrounding the museum and tents in Tahir Sq, but no troubles, this was a thursday and usually problems are on a friday as its half day working... obviously the situation changes all the times so keep updates for when your going...one tip for when you go is if your going package holiday I would suggest you get transfer from airport to your hotel,,, we used Hurghadatransfer.com Mohamed Heragy for a 10 seater mini van and baby seat it cost us £28 return airport/hotel & return. The rep had bought our visas before we arrived straight thru immigration and at hotel with 15 mins, the queues are otherwise horrendous and the transfer thomas cook bus arrived as we were finishing our meal at hotel :) Hope the situation doesnt get worse before you go keep an eye on FCO site and Mohamed Heragy will also keep you informed as he did for us. anything else you need to know I will be happy to help ....... take care

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

jacqkoo, did you let the rep at the coach know that you had arranged your own transport? A couple of years ago we sat at Hurghada airport on a coach for well over an hour, waiting for people who had "made other arrangements" Could be why the bus arrived so late at your hotel!!!!! just a thought.....

England
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Yes they knew x

London
Level Contributor
414 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to travel to Hurghada ???

Hi, for extra security, have you considered one of the "gated" resorts of Hurghada, either Sahl Hasheesh, (a beautiful bay, but still very much under construction) or El Gouna (on the beautiful red sea with lots of lagoons and little islands, fabulous marina with great restaurants and downtown area ,plus loads of hotels). These resorts are large and certainly with regard to El Gouna you have everything there that you could need including a hospital, so you would never need to leave the resort. Both areas are around 30 minutes in a taxi from Hurghada Airport and are quite upmarket. All vehicles entering have to go through security checks, which makes you feel a bit safer. There is a separate forum on here for El Gouna if you are interested.

Get answers to your questions about Hurghada