We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Phitsanulok...
Level Contributor
209 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

I will arrive in Abu Simbel by cruise ship ( in November)and am trying to book a flight out to Aswan or Cairo. At last, Egypt air is showing flights on the date I need but the prices are pretty rediculous. Best price to Cairo is $ 307, and just to go to Aswan is $246. I'm stunned and am actualy considering canceling my cruise. My question is from others experience are the prices likely to get cheaper closer to November. My dilemma is that if I wait too long, they may be sold out, and I'm very uncomfortable paying the prices they are asking now. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
8,251 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Hi falangsabai

Like most airlines, it's about demand, if there is a lot of it prices will reflect this by being higher.

Also fuel has risen and this may also have an effect.

I personally cannot advice you on if it will be better to buy now or wait.

Have a look at Skyscanner, and put in your dates and it will monitor the prices.

Good luck 👌🏽

Edited: 10 May 2018, 20:34
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Its very unpredictable...it might go even higher. You can book and most prob there will be able to cancel it with no charge as its an expensive ticket. Then if prices dropped down cancel this one and book the cheaper....if not so you have to suck it up and accept it!

3. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 May 2018, 00:23

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

The prices will only go upwards but those quotes are ridiculous so there must be something going wrong somewhere. Are you at the Egyptair site directly? I find that the third party flight search sites often get the wrong information and haven't trusted them for years. I'm currently looking at one way flights from Abu Simbel to Aswan on the Egyptian site for the first two weeks of November and the 08:10 flight is coming in at LE1240 each day with the later flights being almost double that. I think LE1240 is about US$70

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Phitsanulok...
Level Contributor
209 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Thanks. Yes I was using the Egypt air site but with U.S. as country for pricing. Looks like you were looking at the Egypt pound prices. The prices for US dollars are considerably higher. Have you ever booked successfully with a non Egyptian credit card online using the Egyptian prices?

Edited: 11 May 2018, 15:12
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Nuweiba
Destination Expert
for Nuweiba, Dahab, South Sinai
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Just had a look - cheapest fares in November on the Egyptian site range from LE 807 to LE 1377 ( i.e. US$ 46 - 78 ), whilst the US site has the lowest fare at US$ 133.23.

That US based fare is not excessively expensive but is a hell of a lot more than the local fare. I doubt if the fares will get any cheaper.

I would book now, using the Egyptian site and if the credit card does not work then go ahead on the US site. Would be nice of you if you let us know the outcome.

Phitsanulok...
Level Contributor
209 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

The Egypt pound price for Abu Simbel to Cairo was 65% of the U.S. dollar price. I have read on TA that many members could not successfully book an Egypt pound ticket with non Egypt credit card. I expected my U.S. Visa to be rejected. Much to my surprise it went through and now I am booked. I suspect that prices will not likely go down and with higher tourism projected for this year availability could also be an issue. At $180 US (after conversion) its still a bit pricey but O,K,

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Just as an aside, it's often not the fact that you're using a non-Egyptian credit or debit card that prevents payments to Egyptair using their Egypt site, but an enhanced security feature implemented by a lot of banks and card companies, to prevent fraudulent transactions; the idea being that overseas purchases could be the result of cloning of card details by criminals.

This doesn't just affect Egyptair, as I've had the same issue when buying tickets from Air France; strangely though, I've never encountered any problems when buying things from German websites, such as Lufthansa.

Normally it takes a call to the bank /card company to let them know that you're having a legitimate transactions blocked to cure the issue.

This is also the reason that it's best to let your card issuer know that you may be using the card overseas, before your trip, as this saves anyone being stuck in the situation I've seen at the end of a Nile cruise, where someone tried to pay their drinks bill with a debit card only to have it blocked by their bank - the resulting international call cost them approximately £16 per minute to sort things out.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Have you considered taking a car to aswan?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?

Glad you got it sorted falangsabai. For the record I have indeed bought quite a few flights with a (UK) credit card from the Egyptair website whilst using Egyptian pounds as the pricing. I've also successfully taken those flights and have never had any problems with my tickets at the airports. I think my log in details are set up for the prices to automatically show in LE but if they were not then I'd always change them to LE anyway. I actually find it easier nowadays to work out my trip budget with my internal flights in local currency for some reason.

Reply to: Egypt air-Very high prices-will they change ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted