We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

Tahmoor, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
112 reviews
I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

I have got good details from www.ecuadorspanishschools.com

It would be a long day as we dock in Manta and then bus to Puerto Lopez and then boat to the Isla de la planta.

Does anyone know this company and do anyone local think this is a good trip for 7.30am to 6pm and could it be done ??

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
101 reviews
1. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

Please clarify: the school is booking the excursion for you? Do you know what company they are contracting with?

Tahmoor, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

The reply I got says

We can organize it for 20 or so people, each ship is for 16 passengers, but the trip can be done in 2 ships per example.

We can include on the trip: -Transport from Manta to Puerto Lopez and return with van or bus (depending on the number of people)-

Tour to Isla de la Plata including national park tax fee, local naturist guide, equipment to make snorkelling, a box lunch the cost per person.

You can make the payment in advance through paypal or via bank wire transfer.

I did not think they would sub-contract out?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
101 reviews
3. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

I seriously doubt a language school has its own transportation (e.g., van or bus), much less a boat to the island. They are surely hiring a van and driver and contracting with a company like Exploramar Diving or Amigos del Mar or some such to take you to Isla; the tour is the standard one offered by these agencies. How many people are in your party? The 20 or more the school says they will organize for? Do you think they are chartering a boat just for your party? They could do that with a private owner rather than one of the agencies I mentioned. And if the boat only takes 16 people, why would they require a minimum of 20? Have they quoted a price per person?

Sorry for all these questions, but it just sounds weird, going through a language school.

Tahmoor, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
112 reviews
4. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

I mentioned the total of 20 and they said they could do this but each boat only took 16 so we would have to split They have not mentioned any sub contractors just they wanted payment by paypal before

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

Okay, so there are at least 20 in your party. A language school in Manta seems to be acting as a contractor to get you to Puerto Lopez, put you on a boat for Isla de la Plata, and get you back to your cruise ship in Manta. As a reference for when you are quoted a price, RT transportation from the Manta airport to PL is US$80, and the island excursion I think around $35, plus the cost of the park fee (I had a resident visa so it was cheaper; for non-residents I think it was around $10). The $35 included the boat, tour, lunch, and snorkeling.

And, to finally answer your original question--I've heard of these schools but have no experience with them.

Tahmoor, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
112 reviews
6. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

Thank you

7. Re: I am thinking of booking a private tour from a cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 21:19
Get answers to your questions about Manta