We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Quito to Manta

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Quito to Manta

Can anyone provide information on this drive. Due to flight schedules, I will have to remain overnight in Quito, or drive. I plan to get a rental car in Manta, so why not drive if not too difficult or dangerous.

Thanks,

Bill

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,213 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

Drive? Not recommended. Drive at night? No way! Very dangerous!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

Yes, I'm sure that you are right about night. However, I drove from Manta to Esmeraldas in the day without any difficulties. Would it be too bad in the day? How far is it. Are the roads good?

Thanks, Bill

Berlin
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

Hi Bill,

Yes, driving not recommended. But if you are going to do it, it takes about 6 hours drive from Quito. Take the exit towards Santo Domingo, then head to El Carmen - Flavio Alfaro - Chone - Portoviejo and Manta.

Exceed extra care on the Santo Domingo road, it is full of trucks and buses and considered to be one very difficult to drive (full of curves not like from Esmeraldas to Manta that is basically flat and straight) and very dangerous because of the trucks and buses.

From Flavio Alfaro to Chone you have a very good paved road with some 4-lane parts, but watch for parts where it is still getting paved.

Chone to Manta you can expect a very good road.

Drive safe!

Pat

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

Thanks a lot, Pat. this is exactly the info that I needed!!

Bill

Berlin
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

anytime wildbill, enjoy your time in ecuador!

Pat

chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

I am also planning to drive from Quito to Manta. I'm getting kind of scared. Its only me and my friend (also female). We are leaving the men to care for the kids. We are getting to Quito May 26. I worry about road conditions and safety. The US state dept has some scary crime stats. (of course, they are sometimes over cautious) Also considered flying to Manta and driving to guayaquil and flying back to quito. Any suggestions from someone who has been there?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

Agrvated:

There are 2 main airliners that fly Quito-Manta; Aerogal and Icaro Air. I flew Aerogal last time and am going to fly Icaro this time. The flight is only about 40 minutes in length. Aerogal is $118 and Icaro $99 round trip. I don't know about one way. Both have web sites, Aerogal has an English option, but Icaro requires Spanish.There are lots of flights Guayaquil, so no problems there.

Have fun!

WildBill

chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

Thanks so much! We decided to fly on aerogal to Manta. It seems less of a hassle anyhow.

9. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2018, 05:28
10. Re: Driving Quito to Manta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Manta