We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Uber

Hi, my husband and I will be traveling to Cartagena this month. We booked our hotel in Bocagrande and will need to depend on transportation to and from. My question is, is it safe to use Uber? Can we catch an Uber at the airport? or do you recommend Taxi's instead?

Thanks!!

6 replies to this topic
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber

In Colombia, it is not recommended to take Uber from airports.

Uber is in a delicate legal situation in Colombia. Ministry of Transport claim they are not legal while Ministry of IT say they are...

Taxi drivers are of course fighting hard against Uber, especially in airports, since airports are their golden geese. Police forces cooperate with taxis and routinely hold Uber cars, heavily fine the driver and make the passenger go to the taxi line.

nj
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber

At the airport there is a window where they assigned you a taxi and the price so you don't get ripoff. I don't recommend uber. I used it once and he left us half way from our destination because there were police in that area. Just use taxis they are everywhere, just make sure you ask how much before u get in.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber

We have our hotel make arrangement for a driver to pick us up at baggage claim. The price is set and it's easier. We used taxis during our stay in Old Town - cheap & safe - but we were probably not out past 10pm.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber

Also we did not use Uber in Cartegena, but used in Panama City several times a day - safe, cheap & prompt.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber

Thank you all for your recommendations, I reached out to our hotel and booked transportation thru them.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
959 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber

We tried to use Uber a couple of times. They would take too long to come, and we cancelled. We found taxis to be much easier to get, and the cost is minimum. We stayed in the Walled City and had very little need for a taxi. We walked everywhere, but we enjoy walking. You notice more while walking, and often stumble across a place you would not have if in a taxi.

There are plenty of Taxis for transporting to and from airport.

Reply to: Uber
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted