We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Trip. Please Help!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
1st Trip. Please Help!!!

Me, my husband and 13 yro daughter are planning to travel to Cartagena in March. Any reccos for upscale boutique hotels in the walled city w/ a pool and serves breakfast? How many days should we spend in Cartagena? Thinking of also doing Bogata or Medellin...which would you choose? Any must see/must do things in Cartagena? Reccos for nice warm Beaches?

7 replies to this topic
1. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2017, 15:46

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

We just got back from 4 days at Casa San Augustin http://www.hotelcasasanagustin.com/ which we LOVED! Perfect location in the historic district. We walked everywhere. They have a free large buffet breakfast every morning (extra $ for hot dishes). We only went to Cartagena so I can't speak to the other locations. We had 4 nights, 3 full days, which we found to be perfect. Enjoy!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
32 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

Thank you! Checking out that hotel now

London, United...
Level Contributor
274 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

4 nights in Cartagena is ideal - enough time to see everything without rushing and one or two day-tours. The city is a real jewel.

Cartagena has so so beaches so most people take a tour to playa Blanca which is whilst nice is terribly overcrowded.

If to choose between Bogota and Medellin, then definitely the latter. Medellin has an amazing weather and mountain scenery. Not as safe as Cartagena, but not dodgy either with the right precautions.

Another option would be to fly to the Coffee region and stay in one of the historic coffee towns - safe, romantic and beautiful (provided you like coffee). Salento is the most popular, although I found Filandia prettier.

Belgium
Level Contributor
50 posts
875 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

4 days Cartagena is sufficient. Medellin is a nice city take the metro cable to Santo Domingo where you have views of the whole city. While in Medellin take a day trip to Guatape and go up to El Penol for amazing views of the lake. If you have to choose Bogota and Medellin, go for Medellin. I like Bogota but I didn’t feel comfortable walking in day and night time

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
43 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

It doesn't have a huge pool but Hotel Quadrifolio is gorgeous and the staff are wonderful. We loved everything about it. And I completely agree with the other recommendations that four days in Cartagena is perfect.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!

you cannot go wrong with most high end hotels in the walled city as it is so small you could walk everywhere. I have not personally stayed at the Sofitel but have heard good things about it. I would temper my expectations about the beaches as they are nothing to write home about. I would recommend 4 days to get a feel of the city. enjoy the sights, sounds, history, and the architecture.

Reply to: 1st Trip. Please Help!!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted