We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early August weather? Too risky?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Early August weather? Too risky?

We live in shanghai and are looking for a short beach break in early August. Is the weather too risky then in Sanya? Re rain or even typhoons? Anyone’s thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Sanya
Sanya
Hainan, China
4 replies to this topic
Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
218 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early August weather? Too risky?

I do not think it is too risky. From May to October you get more rain. Some occasional typhoons or tropical storms come and go. So yes some disturbance is possible. Has happened to me (flight cancellations).

It will be hot and humid that time. Max temperature may hit 35-36 celsius. Any other activity than beach/swimming pool will be tough during the day.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,571 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early August weather? Too risky?

I think the weather is too iffy, especially considering the cost of getting the family to Sanya. It wouldn't be more (and maybe less) to head for Thailand or Vietnam or Malaysia.

If you must stay in China if time is really short, then head up to Qingdao area, which doesn't take so much upfront, nonrefundable commitment.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 23:35
Mentioned in this post
Sanya
Sanya
Hainan, China
Qingdao
Qingdao
Shandong, China
3. Re: Early August weather? Too risky?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2018, 22:48

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
218 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early August weather? Too risky?

I may go this summer to Sanya for few days. It is very convenient flight from Shanghai. Any major tropical storms or typhoons can be seen in forecasts. Flights to Haikou tend to be cheaper and high speed train to Sanya works ok.

Mentioned in this post
Sanya
Sanya
Hainan, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Haikou
Haikou
Hainan, China
Reply to: Early August weather? Too risky?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted