We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

I have 2 half days & 1 full day in Siem Reap. Never been there before. Should I include the Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk with flooded Mangrove forest in my itinerary?

Don't want to rush seeing the main sights

Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

If all the time you have allowed for Siem Reap is one full and two half days you would cut yourself short for time at the temples. Take a look at suggested temple itineraries on canbypublications.com - the trip out to Kampong Phhluk is easily a half day - and that's only when the water levels are high. When is your trip planned for?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

October 20-22

Las Animas, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,343 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

There most likely would be water out there at that time of year, but with your very short stay in SR I'd put it on the list for your return trip:)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,294 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

There has recently been a lot of dredging and commercial development at Kg. Pluk.

It has become far too popular for its own good.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Battambang at Seng Hout Hotel and next for Siem Reap by a friends' van this morning.

It's rather hot right now.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
5. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

the floating village is an appauling tourist trap in my estimation - see the reviews on this site.

I wouldn't bother with it - spend all your time at the temples.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

Kompong Khleang is worth a visit also,small floating village but large fishing community mainly living in stilted homes,as with Kompong Phluk the main produce is fishing however many kilns can be seen along the way.the floating village closest to siem reap is called chong khneas,its at the base of phnom krom.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

Agreed with Angkorlad and paul99. Kompong Khleang is definitely a better and more authentic experience.

It is the largest and less touristic floating village that is close to Siem Reap. Check out this page squidoo.com/kompong-khleang-floating-village

8. Re: Floating village on Tonle Sap lake at Kampong Pluk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 14:16