We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

Hi we are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids (12,10 and 9) and going to Siam Reap on June 30th, July 1st - 2013

We are very well travelled and the kids are seasoned to travelling as well ( so I am not worried about wimpy kids)

We have the option of staying 2 nighs-1 full day, or 3 nights and 2 full days in Siam Reap or one full day.

Day 1: "Ta Phrom, Angkor Thom, Angkor Wat , dinner at Sugar Palm Restaurant"

"DAy 2 - Banteay Srey, Tonle Sap (lake, floating village), Sunset at Phnom Bakeng"

Here are my questions?

1. Should I do only 1 day or 2 days?

2. I know the weather is hot and humid, so prepared for that, but I have heard that there is a lot of mosquito activity and malaria and dengue is a problem.

3. I will be 5 months pregnant too- am in relatively good health, but please give me your opinion.

4. I am thinking of Le Meridian hotel to stay - any other recommendations welcome.

Thanks for always helping me fellow trip advisors -

Regards

Asmairf

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,138 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

1. Definitely do 2 days. The temples are simply amazing, and there is no place quite like it in the world.

2. It doesn't look like you have too much sighseeing planned (for me, I am up at 6:00am & back to the guesthosue at 5::00pm!) an dto beat the heat & appease the kids you might consider a hotel with a pool where you can relax and cool off after a half-day of seeing the sights.

Re: the malaria and dengue-

Dengue is whatyo need to be worried about, and try ro keep the kids (and yourself) as covered up as possible, long sleeves, long pants. Do use a bug spray, and consider Picardin or another natural repellent, and re-apply it every 2 hours or so. The chemical-based repellents that contain the toxic DEET, while much more effective and long-lasting, are not recommended for kids and I woudl NOT use it if I happened to be pregnant.

3. Please consult your doctor, only he or she will be able to advise on this! :-)

4. That hotel has a good reputaton, you can also peruse others on this site & read the numerous reviews.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,739 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

Can you find another day somewhere and make your visit 3 days- your kids would love Beng Melea and there are so many other temples to see as well. www.canbypublications.com has good maps and sample itineraries - see the boxes down the left side for links

I'm with Maneki - make sure you get a hotel with a pool - nothing spoils your day more than hot, tired cranky kids. A swim in the afternoon will turn them back into civilised people again

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
75 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

Agreed to stay at hotel has pool and add Beng Mealea to your agenda, it is amazing and your kids will like. It has a good road that just finished pavement from Bantey Srei to Beng Mealea via the foot of Phnom Kulen and takes just 40 minutes drive to reach there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,277 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

Your visit is too short!

Please try to increase to at least four/five days.

Siem Reap/Angkor is a Region not a singular spot.

So much to see and do other than temple ruins.

Best regards. Ian

Camp Battambang at Seng Huot Hotel

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
235 reviews
5. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

You will definitely need at least another day otherwise it's not worth the trip

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
63 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

I would suggest at least 4 days to take it all in....its a good idea to break up the day by returning to your hotel for a swim and going back later in the afternoon.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,344 posts
177 reviews
7. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

Yes you definitely need more than one or two nights in Siem Reap and as others have said, I feel sure that the children will also enjoy the unique experience. As Ian mentioned, it is a huge area and having come such a long way from your home city, it would be a great shame to rush in and rush out again.

Maneki-neko makes a very important point about bug spray and I also strongly advise against using any chemical based product, especially with deet under the circumstances.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
16 posts
343 reviews
8. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

You can give the sunset a miss, it is a circus and nothing spectacular (especially no as the rainy season is about to kick in).

Dengue season has not really started yet.

Your stay is too short......

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

When does Dengue season start?

Travelling there for 4 nights in August 2013.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,138 posts
92 reviews
10. Re: 1 or 2 day for Siam Reap? Weather,pregnant,dengue, malaria?

There is no "season" for dengue. Mosquitoes are ever-present. Wear a decent repellent &/ or cover up.