We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

Manila, Philippines
3 posts
Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

I am from the Philippines and during a recent travel to Siem reap last May 17-20, 2012 our tour guide from www.cambodiatours.com brought us to a jewelry store named CITY GEMS. We purchased jewelry here since our tour guide said that this store sells real gems unlike the ones sold in the market but upon arrival in manila we had the gems checked and found out they were fake!

DO NOT BUY FROM CITY GEMS, THEY SELL FAKE GEMS AT HIGH PRICES!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
26 reviews
41. Re: Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

What did you use for scratching? Your amethyst can still be synthetic because synthetic and natural have the same hardness.

You can scratch any softer stone with a harder stone. There are special professional sets for scratch tests. But these are not used for checking natural or not. I have a natural sapphire from Mogok. You should see how this gets scratched from daily use.

Amazing all the experts on TA, yet they only become such after they burnt their fingers.

canberra
6 posts
1 review
42. Re: Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

Intertek is a large German based analytical lab with an office in Phnom Penh that will test your stones for as little as $10.

As noted by another poster- scratching the stones will not provide ANY kind of ID, or will hitting them with a hammer to determine " hardness" ( this actually happens).

How do I know?

I have a gem shop on Sisowath Quay!

We guarantee what we sell to be genuine.

Before buying gems a little research would be in order.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,313 posts
26 reviews
43. Re: Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

James, what is *genuine*? This could still mean *synthetic*. *Natural* sounds better. From there one can ask *how natural?*. : )

canberra
6 posts
1 review
44. Re: Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

Very good question!

Genuine means as represented.

We sell no synthetics.

All the set jewelry is made by my studio partners silversmiths in Mae Sai, he is a gemologist from Ohio living in Thailand for more than 15 years. I send him the stones, he vets them for natural origin, heat, beryllium doping in the case of sapphire and in general, misidentification.

That is the length I go to on the upstream side of production.

In many types of gem, heat treatment is the only way most people will afford to own a nice stone set in silver for every day wear.

I focus on many stones that have no treatment: Peridot, Opal,Garnet, Spinel and Aquamarine from Takeo province.

Other Cambodian stones I work with that are heated are Zircon ( best blues in the world from Bokheo. Cambodia ).

Then of course, Sapphire, Ruby, Citrine and other stones which have been subject to heating since the late 1970's.

The difference with us- is- we disclose this clearly on posters in the shop, online, and in person.

If you can find a synthetic in my shop that Intertek identifies as such I will buy you dinner at the Green Vespa directly next door to my place!

45. Re: Beware of FAKE gem sellers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 16:18