We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

s k
Victoria, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

Can anyone help me know which flight would give us enough transit time in KL?

We have a flight scheduled to arrive in KL from Hong Kong (Cathay Pacific) at **5:10 a.m.** Sat JUN 30.

We want to get from there to Siem Reap.

I've found two options:

#1--AIR ASIA

Leaves at ** 6:50 a.m. **(1.5 hours after scheduled arrival from HK).

Cost $85 US

#2--MALAYSIA AIRLINES

Leaves at **12:10 p.m. ** (7 hours after scheduled arrival from HK).

Cost $139

Question: I prefer #1 -- but is 1.5 hours between flights enough time for us to be sure we make the connection, or should we go for the long 7-hour layover? We are flying from Canada (Vancouver -->HK-->KL) so the shorter layover is more attractive, but don't want it to turn into a problem if we miss the flight.

Thanks!

Huntly, New Zealand
Level Contributor
34 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

Hi - I would go with option #2 as that time frame is too tight and all it needs is for your HK flight to be late leaving or arriving and you will be stuck in KL!

Also I think you may find that the Cathay Pacific Flight will land at the main KLIA terminal whereas the Air Asia flight will depart from LCCT so 1.5hrs to transfer between the two and check-in will definetely not be enough time.

Cheers

Sheryl

Edited: 04 April 2012, 05:55
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

I would suggest a minimum of 3 hours between flights.

AirAsia are a point to point carrier (they won't wait) no excuses, no refunds.

Option # 3 spend the night near LCCT and fly out the next day with AA

Have fun

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,958 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

I understand the desire for a shorter layover but you simply won't have time ...take option 2 ... as #1 says you will have to change terminals and this can take up to an hour. and this is on top of immigration and baggage claim on arrival and then the check-in time for your departure flight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
292 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

the basic "tune" hotel (www.tunehotels.com)may well do you for a one day stopover at KLLC and has a free shuttle to/from airport (100 meters). just remember that is a +++ hotel (everything is plus$) am fairly sure they have a small swimming pool.

If you stay the day for next day departure ,get a bus into KL city but get the KL express train back to international airport and the inter airport bus from there to KLLC. the non stop express train (28 mins) is a travelling experience ! You can actually see the KLLC terminal across the runway from international terminal but it is a 20 minute transfer.

if you want to recuperate from the tune hotel after your 2 hour flight to siem reap,I would strongly recommend the central boutique angkor resort. they have two swimming pools,are in central siem reap and for $40 a night will meet you at the airport(reconfirm arrival time three days before arrival),give you a poolside room with in room safe and a/c and breakfast.

s k
Victoria, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

Thanks everyone for your help :) Clearly, we need more than the 1.5 hour connection time, so I'll adjust things accordingly. Appreciate your feedback :)

Sleaford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

Hi. I'd recommend the longer layover, and make a trip into KL to see the towers. Well worth it.

7. Re: transit time in Kuala Lumpur going to Siem Reap

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:41