We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Cork, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Please help before I lose the will to live. I am trying to find the best route to fly to Siem Reap out of Ireland on a sunday ( I understand I have to fly to a hub first london, Paris,frankfurt, amsterdam). Anyone any suggestions for Ireland to Siem Reap ... I could potentially be here for the next 3 years trying to find the right options. Looking for September. I would really really appreciate it . thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,383 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

You got the departure "Hub" bit right.

But because only regional carriers, with smaller aircraft, fly in to REP you will need an Asian Hub too.

But why get your nickers in such a twist in the first place?

You really do seem to be in near-panic for no reason at all.

Just use one of the major airlines, such at Thai International (TG) for example, and fly in to Phnom Penh (PNH) then go the 315 km overland to Siem Reap (REP)

It's one heck of a lot cheaper this way.

Any time you change carriers it's going to cost you money.

And most certainly so on near monopoly routes such as to REP.

Rgds. Ian

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,521 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Hi WK.

welcome to trip advisor

Find the best flight that gets you to KL then on to SR - currently Air Asia has flights from KL to SR for about $12.

Allow at least 4-5 days for Siem REap then bus to Phnom Penh (about $12 and 6 hrs) give yourself 3 days in PP then bus on to HCMC

you'll find everything you need here with a bit of researching on your part.

as a newbie you my not have noticed some of the fantastic features of this site... upper right (on the whole Cambodia page AND the page for each city) are a series of top questions

then the search box directly above your post - use it like google - use phrases or words like you would use for google and you'll get to all previous posts covering that topic - much of what you need can be found there - you can filter these results for date (latest posts) on the top right. Look especially for trip reports (sometimes called JBR - just back report) to see what others have done in a similar time frame & budget.

you'll find accommodation reviews via the hotels tabs on the top left - I also use agoda to sort for price and amenities and then check here for reviews to make my final decision.

do a bit more research and come back with questions - there are plenty of regular Cambodia visitors on this site who will happily help - particularly if you've done some of your own research first.

two other excellent sites are

www.canbypublications.com - everything from temple itineraries to eating - see bars on the left side of the page

www.travelfish.org - blue link to Cambodia at the top

happy planning

helen

Cork, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Wow thank you for the fast reply... It is for a honeymoon and after getting a 3 week package tour tour from a travel agent for a ridiculous price for Cambodia and Vietnam I have taken on the task myself. Once the flights are booked the inbetween organisation will be fun.

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,521 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

NO need to use a travel agent.. really... why pay for their fancy office furniture? besides, travellers on TA are far more knowledgeable and their info is far more current than anything a travel agent could give you...

3 week honeymoon? congratulations in advance ... you know what? I'd just stick to Cambodia - you'll need at least a week there and 2 weeks really isn't enough to see much of Vn without constantly packing & unpacking and sitting in airport departure lounges.

For 3 weeks in Cambodia I'd do this: fly to SR (5-6 nights) bus to Battambang (2-3 nights) bus to PP (O'nite) taxi to Kampot (2-3 nights) tuk tuk across to Kep (3-4nights) - not much to do there exceptt swing in you hammock, read a book, swim (hotel pools not the beach) sip cocktails etc - just what the Doctor ordered after the frenzy of a wedding and then back to PP for the rest of your stay.

Don't imagine either, that you need 4 & 5 star places - honeymoon you're after romance & relaxation - look at some of the smaller boutique hotels & guesthouses .. Pavillion in PP (depending on your budget you can get rooms with private pools) Verandah or Kep Lodge in Kep, and your choice in SR will be huge. Ground transport is as cheap as chips (bus SR to BB is under $6) and a taxi from PP to Kampot should cost around $45-50.

from what I know, there is only a couple of places in Kampot with pools so staying in town without a pool will be cheaper and easier for exploring & eating. Rikitikitavi gets great reviews and we loved Mea Culpa (run by an Irishman called Ben who makes the BEST pizzas)

cheers

helen

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
291 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Figuring out the flights is the easiest part! Don't stress over honeymoon planning! :) Use sites like Kayak.com to figure out the fastest route. From Cork, you should get to London then onto Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia Airline). As thmoore said, KL is the hub of Air Asia which will get you to/from Siem Reap, Phnom Penh, Hanoi, Danang, HCMC for really cheap.

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Hi, we always look for the cheapest flight to SE Asia and from there use Air Asia or go overland depending on distances. The city that consistently comes out cheaper than any others is Bangkok due to sheer number of flights there. KL is not as cheap as there are not as many flights there from the UK. From BKK there are lots of options with Air Asia or overland into Cambodia. Enjoy the planning!

birmingham
Level Contributor
205 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

we are going via dubai from birmingham breaks up the flight and on the way back a few nights in sunny dubai

bhx-dbx-bkk-pnh 18 hours but there are breaks between flights

then sgn to dxb 6 hours ish

dxb to bhx 6 hours

this route worked out cheaper than most others

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,135 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Hi Barmy

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. I hope everything works out well for you.

Others have given you some great ideas about Cambodia but I just wanted to ask if you'd ever been to Dubai. Yes, it's sunny, but that's about all. It's expensive and you'd certainly feel the sting of that after having been in Cambodia. Being a lover of asian countries, I felt that the food in Dubai was usually best left on the plate. Oh and the other thing, the place doesn't have any atmosphere. It's been sanitised to death. Only my opinion but if you haven't been there before it might be best to use your extra days elsewhere.

We stayed there for a couple of days on our way to Egypt and were greatly disappointed as we'd been reading all the hype about the place and were looking forward to it.

Brynmawr, United...
Level Contributor
601 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

hi WK2666

good call on doing it yourself. We booked and paid for a travel agent to arrange and then thanks to the guys on TA we cancelled(lost deposit) rebooked all the trip ourselves in our own time giving us a better itineray and still paid less than half the original cost (inc deposit) and your right I am having loads of fun organising and researching.

Hope you have a fab time

Kerrie

Cork, Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP fli into Siem Reap out of Ho Chi Min

Oh thats brilliant. I am about to embark on putting it together myself. Any tips you have picked up would be greatly appreciated.

Thank a mill