We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
102 reviews
Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Hi

These are becoming much more common and we were stopped at customs coming into Dubai as both my husband and I had one in our hand luggage. A police/security man was called over and apparently they are illegal (I suppose because they are nicotine, which is the same derivative as SSRI's, antidepressants). I hadn't thought about this before taking them.

Anyway, we were allowed through with them and I just thought it worth letting people know.

123 replies to this topic
Nazeing, United...
1 post
2 reviews
11. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Was just this month in the process of booking a holiday to Dubia, when told by Virgin that E-Cigs are banned etc. So no Dubia for me and my family. Gave up smoking 6 months ago after 32 years of smoking, due to e-cigs, nothing else ever worked for me. It seems that the banned is to promote the governments policy on not smoking, since e-cigs can contain nicotine. So advert your eyes when passing through the duty free at the Dubai Airport - All the tobacco products - cigarettes. cigars, rolling tobacco are just an illusion or should we say a mirage.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
49,552 posts
38 reviews
12. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Yes, and bizarrely it's the nicotine in them that is the issue.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
26 reviews
13. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

E-cigarettes are banned in many countries. Here is an overview: ecigarette-politics.com/electronic-cigarette…

One part of the problem is the legal status of e-cigarettes and refills. Key is also to protect the income of tobacco duties and less public health. The other part is the lack of control of the substances and delivery system of e-cigarettes.

The problem goes further to non-nicotine e-cigarettes.

luton
1 post
1 review
14. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

i was over there a month ago and i took my E cigarettes with me. my hand luggage was X rayed at dubai arrivals and they found them. ipleaded ignorance and thry confiscated and destroyed the lot

Galway
Level Contributor
19 posts
62 reviews
15. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

I didn't realise this at all, my other half is a heavy e-cig user and we are going in 3 weeks! Any suggestions? What tobacco replacement products are available in Dubai? Thanks!!

Galway
Level Contributor
19 posts
62 reviews
16. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Anyone? I'm very worried about this because I really don't want him going back to the cigarettes and I know he really wouldn't like to either. Phoned the embassy but they weren't able to help... Are there any similar products available out there? The Nicorette Vapouriser or similar? Thanks in advance!

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
17. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

You phoned the Embassy??!!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
19,114 posts
25 reviews
18. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Determination is what's required. No use swapping one habit for another.

Galway
Level Contributor
19 posts
62 reviews
19. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Yep, phoned the UAE Embassy in Dublin just to find out as I read on another website that they had advised travellers previously that it was ok to take them for personal use! Unfortunately when I rang they said they didn't know anything about it and I should contact my airline....who told me to ring the embassy......... Determination is indeed what's required but it's easy for me to say that as I don't use them! Again, does anyone know what cigarette replacement products are available in Dubai? Thanks!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
49,552 posts
38 reviews
20. Re: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal

Part of the challenge is that cigarettes are so cheap in Dubai - around £11 for 200 - and yet the UAE government claims to have banned e-cigarettes as it is against their anti smoking policy and may encourage people to smoke ??

I don't know of any other cigarette replacement products in Dubai but then I've never looked. I've done a search on Boots in the UAE and cannot find any tobacco replacement products - the only other thing I can think of is to ask someone that lives there to look, so I'll try that.

Reply to: Electronic Cigarettes - illegal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted