We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying jewellery in dubai

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying jewellery in dubai

Does anyone know if paying cash in the G and D park makes any difference on the price? I know they don't pay tax but they must still have overheads when using a card?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,544 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Get a final price agreed and don't discuss cash or card until you go to pay.

At which point they may ask for a 2% levy to cover their costs - your call as to whethere you pay it and get the item on a card or walk away and strike the same deal at 2% less in another jeweller.

In perspective 2% is £2 per £100 so for example it would depend how much time you want to spend to save £20 on a £1,000 purchase.

If you've been in a jewellers for the best part of an hour to arrive at a price you both agree on do you want to start all over again for the sake of £2 in every £100 ?

You will know what to do when you settle on a figure for an item you want.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Dont forget to factor in the VAT and Duty you will need to pay on arrival in UK if the cost is over your duty free allowance....I beleive this is now around 25%....

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,328 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Do as Latimer advises and remember here in the UAE like the UK it is illegal to have dual pricing and most of the shops will know that so they should not have a problem. IF so refer them to their NETWORK agreement which is the Credit Card provider most companies and banks have to use .

Edited: 14 February 2012, 13:02
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Actually, retailers are no longer allowed to ask an extra percentage when you pay on credit card, it's now illegal.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
671 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

I have never bought jewellery abroad so I am probably just being naive but how would customs know to charge you duty and vat if you just wore the jewellery home or put it with your other jewellery that you travelled out with ?

Do they just rely on people's honesty ?

I am not intending buying any, just curious

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,893 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Luck?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Daisy has it...its just luck.

They look for shiny new jewellery, so actually, your better off not weraing it.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Thanks for all your posts, very informative.

London, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

Next question, has anyone had a cab from The Palm, Dubai to the Abu Dabi theme park recently, if so how much did it cost you?

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
42,544 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying jewellery in dubai

It will cost roughly 200 dirham each way.