We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

Hi,

We are planning to visit Dubai next week with our 8 year and 6 year old children for about 6 days. Here are the things we would like to do:

- Ski Dubai

- At the top Burj Khalifa

- Kidzania

- Segaworld

- Dubai Fountain

- Shopping @ Dubai Mall

- Gold souk

- Textile souk

- Karama

- Naif Souk and Meena Bazaar

- Wild Wadi or Aquaventure

- Festival City Mall

- Jumeirah Beach walk

- Dubai Aquarium & underwater zoo

- Dolphinarium (possibly)

- Dubai Outlet Mall

- Deira City Centre

Please let me know if you think this is too much to do in the 6 days that we have. Also I'm not sure which of the above we can combine in one day - for example, can we do all the attractions at Dubai Mall in one day or will we need more? We will be staying near Bur Juman mall so I'm not sure about the distances and how much time we'll need to put aside for travelling etc... Also what are opening times for malls and souks? Do they close for lunch?

Sorry about the barrage of questions! It's my first time to Dubai and i really want to make the most of it! I've heard about so many things that cannot be missed so I really want to try and pack in as much as we can! :-)

Thanks in advance for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

One more question - I know people have recommended that we should stay away from the touristy areas on Friday/Saturday as it's a wekend and there are queues / crowds. What would you recommend that we do on a weekend that won't be too affected by crowds?

Thanks!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

Here's a tourist map that may help you get your bearings and of course you are just round the corner from Kalid bin Waleed metro station so that will be quite convenient for visiting the main malls (except for Festival City)

bigbustours.com/eng/dubai/UploadedFiles/Duba…

I don't think you will be unecessarily bothered by crowds on a Friday and Saturday such that you should avoid doing anything just that touristy things are generally busier. If it does bother you then make that the days that you stay by your pool or go for a walk in one of the parks etc.

Be aware that the souks and heritage sites are all closed until 4pm on Fridays and that the metro doesn't start til 2pm on that day.

You have picked a busy itinerary but many things are close together and can be done in one day.

I wouldn't bother with Dubai outlet mall so that's one thing you can cross off without too much trouble if you are short of time because it is some distance out of the city and not really close to anything else on your list.

You can do all of the souks and markets in Bur Dubai and Deira in one day by making use of the abra boats between Bur Dubai and Deira abra stations.

All of the things you want to see in this area are

Gold souk

Spice souk

Textile souk

Naif Souk

Here's two maps to show both places.

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

…nationalgeographic.com/city-guides/…

I also wouldn't bother going all the way to Jumeirah Beach Walk from where you are staying - it's very nice but there is nothing up there that you can't do elsewhere. On the tourist map it is the area right up at the very top right of the map and is the road in between the Hilton and the two blue towers you can see on the map.

Ski Dubai is at Mall of the Emirates and there is a metro station right outside the mall.

There is a metro station that is 10 minutes walk from Dubai Mall and there is also a courtesy bus from the station to the mall. Here you will find

At the top Burj Khalifa

Kidzania

Segaworld

Dubai Fountain (in the evenings)

Shopping @ Dubai Mall

Dubai Aquarium & underwater zoo

You can do either or both Wild Wadi or Aquaventure. Wild Wadi is nearer to you - it is next to Jumeirah Beach Hotel on the map and the best way to get there is metro to mall of the emirates and then a quick taxi ride to Wild Wadi or you can go all the way by cab.

Aquaventure is much further out because it's at the end of the Palm so you would need to get the metro to Nakheel Towers and then a cab onto the Palm and out to Atlantis.

Wild Wadi has the edge on things for younger children to do.

The Dolphinarium at the Creek park is really quite close to you at around 5 mins by cab.

Festival City mall is really nice but a bit off the beaten track - you will need a cab to get there but it won't be expensive.

Karama is really close to you by cab but to be honest I'd put that on a list of things we can miss unless you find yourself at a lose end with nowehere to go

Hope that helps

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

If you will visit Dubai Mall, and Mall of Emirates (where Ski Dubai is) as well as the Dubai Outlet Mall. There is really no need to go to Festival City Mall and the City Center.

Would recommend a desert safari though - the tour usually leaves 15:30 and come back at night.

And if you are into Theme park and exciting rides, do check out the Ferrari world in Abu Dhabi and make sure you go on a week day (Sun - Thur)... all the nice rides and no queque at all!!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

Just my opinion but I think the kids are too small for a desert safari - you get thrown about quite a bit on the dune bashing section.

You know your own kids best though and they may like that !

And there's nothing else to see at Ferrari world so the same thing would apply for someone who is on a short holiday and wants to fit a lot in - why would you travel 90 minutes out to Ferrari world (200 dirham each way in a cab) and 90 minutes back to go to a theme park on a 6 day holiday when there is so much you want to fit in that is actually in the same Emirate is beyond me but each to their own I guess.

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

Not sure how your kids are about shopping but you have two large malls (albeit with other attractions) on your list and Outlet Mall is a fair way out. You would have to get taxis there and back and there's nothing else in that area so you would find it's going to take up a For kids, they have a Chuck e Cheez but that's about it. Again, I would put this on the list of things to do if you run out of things to do....

London, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

On top of Latimers suggestion, please avoid Wild Wadi.Aquaventure in weekends, it will be crowded and there will be long queues for all rides. Even the kids zone don't have enough room space that you expect to ''feel'' the water park.

Avoid Meena Baazar in the late evenings on any day, its awefully crowded. On the hindsight it will be too hot in the day time, so get in there at the early evening.

On your itinerary,

/ Ski Dubai

Festival City Mall

Jumeirah Beach walk /

One day.

/ Dubai Aquarium & underwater zoo

At the top Burj Khalifa

Dubai Fountain

Shopping @ Dubai Mall

Kidzania

Segaworld /

Two days.

/ Naif Souk

Gold souk

Deira City Centre

Textile souk

Karama

Meena Bazaar /

Two days

/ Wild Wadi or Aquaventure / Dolphinarium (possibly) /

One day.

I just combined places which are closeby to each other and which you can do in leisure without hurrying up. As you are visiting soo many malls, I would reccomend to skip Dubai Outlet Mall, as it will take out lot of your time for travel, and its not that all great bargains on any given days. It hit or miss kind of place..!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

Wow, this is great! Thanks so much for all your input, I really appreciate it! I've heard a lot about 'the entertainer' books? Is it worth getting them even though we're there for such a short while? Is there any possibility of buying them second-hand in Dubai? I know people advertise them on auction sites but it's a bit too late for me now since we leave in a couple of days.

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri
Level Contributor
44,524 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

The Entertainer family book will give you 2 for 1 vouchers for

Wild Wadi

Aquaventure

Desert safaris

Dubai Aquarium and underwater zoo

Sgea World

Ski Park (only 1 voucher in the book)

Skiing lessons

Dubai Dolphinariium

there is more than one vocher for most things to 4 of you can go and you'll only pay for two.

In addition there are vouchers for most cafes and restaurants so with a bit of planning you will only pay for two meals at lunch and two at dinner depending on where you go.

The book is really helfuly laid out and lists cafes and restaurants by mall and by area.

You can order it on line and ask for it to be delivered to the hotel

theentertainerme.com/TheBooks/…TEDubai.html

It costs 350 dirham (around £61) and will save you so much money on activities and eating out - for example if you buy it and just use it for your trip to Wild Wadi that will save you £60 before you use it for anything else.

The more you use it the more money you will save

Just click on the blue links in any of the posts above and it will redirect you to the website

Edited: 11 October 2011, 04:52
Dubai
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

Some people put second hand books on eBay.

10. Re: Dubai trip itinerary - please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 01:17