We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Showing affection in Dubai,

Which Dubai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bracknell, Berkshire
Level Contributor
276 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Showing affection in Dubai,

Hi, guys, please help me out on this one, My son in law has been married to my Daughter for 20 odd years, but he cant leave her alone, he is always cuddling, kissing and touching her bum when they are out. We are staying at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel in July, and I KEEP TELLING HIM HE WILL HAVE TO CURB HIS AFFECTIONS, BUT HE JUST LAUGHS, will it be a problem, when we go out.,I wouldn't like to see him get locked up.

Trevor

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
569 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Showing affection in Dubai,

hello it wouldnt be a problem to most holiday makers

but if some local gets offended and gets the police then you have major problems as law always and without doubt takes the locals side

dont forget its a muslim country so show respect at all times and enjoy

cheers geordie

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,525 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Showing affection in Dubai,

I don't know how you put up with it to be honest. Its bad enough seeing young kids behaving like that, but people in their 40/50's !! lol

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Showing affection in Dubai,

Tell him to put her down. As above, it will probably be fine within the hotel and around the pool where there are primarily tourists.

He will need to calm the fondling down to at least a hand holding session when he ventures out into the malls and public places. Offending a local or attracting attention isn't something he wants. Might stop him laughing though!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Showing affection in Dubai,

Public displays of affection are considered disrepectful and could lead to a Police caution and/or arrest and there have been several arrests for kissing in public. Both parties would be seen to be equally at fault, not just the male. This is widely documented and also is on the Foreign and Commonwealth website "advice for travellers to UAE":

fco.gov.uk/en/…united-arab-emirates

As Geordie and Swiss say above, the most common issue is if a local takes offence and reports you....if this happens you may not be aware of this until the Police arrive. If you are then found to have been consuming alcohol as well then do not expect any lieniency.

It's not difficult to be respectful and should your son in law not control his affections and have an issue whilst here I can assure you he and your daughter will then not be laughing....

Edited: 21 April 2011, 07:00
blackpool
Level Contributor
625 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Showing affection in Dubai,

You often see many locals in the JBH and also in and around the Mina and plenty in the Souk, so yes they would need to curb public shows of affection, as others have said the first they might know they have offended is when the police arrive, better safe than sorry.

6. Re: Showing affection in Dubai,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 08:18