We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

female dress code in Dubai

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
female dress code in Dubai

We are going to Dubai in February & wanted to know if there is a dress code for women when they leave the hotel. I have heard that they have to keep their legs & arms covered. Is this true?

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,992 Reviews
from USD 67.40*
USD 89.87
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
150 Reviews
from USD 59.00*
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
406 Reviews
from USD 53.00*
SUNSHINE COAST...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Before you get jumped on from a great height by BB, I will tell you to do a search ^^^^ ( the SEARCH box above, on the right)

There are 8 pages on dress code there, just leave out the ones mentioning the Burj - those refer to the hotels dress code.

I have checked this out already for our trip in March. The readers digest version is - you are in a muslim country, dress modestly. Skirts to the knees, no revealing tops, preferably with sleeves to the elbow. You will need a cardi for the artic conditions in the shopping malls.

Enjoy your trip - I cant wait till March rolls around ;)

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Having said that, you will see so many women wandering around with string tops, bellys out, skirts that would be hard pressed to make a handkerchief, etc. etc. Bear in mind that these women are:

Ignorant, insensitive morons

Russian hookers

Both of the above

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Bellies even (all five of them!)

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: female dress code in Dubai

The only ones who mind, are the ones struggling to stay faithful to their wives.

Those of us who dont get tempted by the show of a little skin or the open/broad minded locals and expats - dont mind and sometimes dont even notice.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Dubai is more westernised than the west itself.

Dress how you would back home - appropriate to the place your going....... bikini on the beach, casuals while shopping, smart casual for dinner/disc.

You may find that people dress quite smart/well for the disc and upmarket restaurants.

Dubai
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Keep a light sweater close at hand if your going shopping or to dinner - cause the aircondition is turned up most of the time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: female dress code in Dubai

I did end up wearing a sleeveless top (not strappy, but without the actual shoulder covered), as I noticed plenty of others doing so. I wouldn't have worn a short skirt though.

Duabi
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: female dress code in Dubai

You can wear all western outfit.shorts sleevlesstop.there are very modest dress code.

Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Fiona

We have recently returned from Dubai, I felt comfortable wherever we went so long as you dress for the occasion/place you are visiting.

Hotel restaurants usually state what dress code they prefer, we went in some very nice restaurants and I wore some very nice strappy dresses (I've been dying to wear them for ages!) and took a shrug, cropped cardigan or pashmina with me. Even without the shrug etc I never once felt uncomforable and we had some wonderful evenings.

In the malls, souks etc I wore either cropped linen trousers or skirts to the knee together with short sleeved shirts or tops that just covered the tops of my shoulders & arms. Again we were never stared at in amazement or disgust.

Hotel pools or on the beach, just as you would wear anywhere in the world i.e. bikinis, shorts etc but obviously covering up when walking through the hotel to the pool.

Most of the time just use your own judgement and from what we saw, most people knew how to behave in a muslim country but unfortunately and very ashamedly so not all people did.

If you need anymore info etc this forum certainly worked for us so get back on and ask away

I'm Fiona also.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
843 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: female dress code in Dubai

Myself and my daughter wore shorts that were a reasonable length and strappy t-shirts but we carried little over tops with us and covered our shoulders when we went to places like the souqs or religious places.