We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire and diving in dubai

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
car hire and diving in dubai

Hi to all

Going back to Dubai for New Year we are staying on the Palm, I am wondering whether to pre book a car for when we arrive at the airport will cost me about £400 for nine days and there is six passengers, can anyone advise whether we are better just using taxis during our stay in dubai or would car hire be best, would appreciate any advice, thanks to all.

Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

Taxis!!!!! Driving in dubai is far too scary!

Would not even consider hiring a car and I am sure others will advise the same!!!!!

taxis are not expensive so better to take the safest option ;-)

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

First comment would be, that in view of your question, wouldn't recommend diving in a hired car!

Seriously though, unless you're really confident that you know where you'd be going in Dubai, are a super confident driver anyway, and are prepared to drive in what can at times be lunatic situations - let somebody else do the driving.

The driving here is fast, very erratic, roads can be closed by the authorities at the drop of a hat and no signs for detours provided, and no forward notice of these road closures either and probably unlike anything you are used to.

The volume of traffic, especially during rush hours, can be eye-popping and we think that taxis are a cheap/easy way to go.

See other posts on this subject - comments which come to mind are something like 'would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes than drive in Dubai', 'scratch my feet with maggot infested javelins' - does that give you an idea?

We live here and don't particularly find driving here easy, much less enjoyable.

If you're here on holiday, let somebody else take the strain.

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
438 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

Just back again from Dubai and again hired a car to get around.

Whilst yes the standard of driving is not as ordered as other parts of the world, its not half as bad as some.

If your are a confident driver then driving around Dubai is fairly easy. The major roads are well mapped and as has been said if you avoid peak, peak time then a breeze to use.

If you are thinking of travelling further a fiekd then a good map (Try Waterstones)is a must. Outside of Dubai the roads are genrally good and well signed.

Getting about Deira is like any major city. Gridlock at best clear at 3am. Maybe worth parking and walking to acouple of places. New Year is cooler than summer.

For car hire we used www.arguscarhire.co.uk and the car was through Hertz. Paid £140 for 12 days on a Focus automatic. Petrol is expensive though dhs 6.25 per imperial gallon. Less than a pound a gallon!! Disgusting. ha ha.

I thing I learnt on a previous visit was find tthe horn and use it like a local.

dubai
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

As others said Only get a hire car if you know dubai well and are a confident driver as taxis are so cheap anyway.

I drove over here in may when i came over for 2 months, i had only passed my test at the end of march so very new driver, but i dont scare easy..lol and as i come dubai so often for long periods i know my way around as well as home.

i had an automatic though and i had only driven manual,i drove all the way to the mall to discover car smoking as i had driven all the way with handbrake up..oopps.

kelly

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

Thanks for all your advice, looks like I will using taxis, thanks again.

england
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

you would only need to get the one taxi unless your staying in different hotels. Ask for a people carrier we did when ever we went out with the family and had no problem getting one. To be honest that is the only part of Dubai I hate, the traffic and the speeds every one seems to drive at.

Luby x

england
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

Thanks we will do that

Glasgow
Level Contributor
223 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

You could use a chauffer drive company to get you all from the airport.......not all that more expensive either...at least they will be wiating for you at the airport...

Glasgow
Level Contributor
223 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

You could use a chauffer drive company to get you all from the airport.......not all that more expensive either...at least they will be waiting for you at the airport...

Dubai
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire and diving in dubai

Just got back from Diving Fujeirah. I dive every weekend here (and sometimes nights during the week - bit of an addiction).

I suggest Al Boom Diving (www.alboomdiving.com). But diving from the Dubai coast isn't all that great - I would say go off of Fujeirah (1.5 hr drive - they have a bus) or Dibba (about the same).

Al Boom is a good group of ppl, but can be a little disorganised (depends on the trip) - you can also try Pavillion Dive Centre at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel - I personally prefer Al Boom.

Good Luck.