We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Hi there we are staying at Jumeirah Al Naseem on 1st June. We have2 boys aged 14and 7 ... we are in Dubai for a week and looking forward to chilling by the pool and at the beach but feel maybe we should plan a couple of things!!.... I feel unprepared but just looking forward to the experience ... what are your top tips?!!!

Special Offer
Dubai Desert 4x4 Dune Bashing...
1,997 Reviews
from USD 67.40*
USD 89.87
Desert Safari in Dubai with Barbecue...
157 Reviews
from USD 59.00*
Full-Day Tour of Abu Dhabi City From...
410 Reviews
from USD 53.00*
13 replies to this topic
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

* Read the map; Dubai's a linear city rather than radial and it often catches tourists out.

* Plan your itinerary wisely, and factor in a buffer on timings - it's not Switzerland.

* Research The Entertainer and similar apps to suit your needs to save bucketloads of money.

* when someone local to Dubai says to you "no problem", panic. There IS a problem,

* Whatever rate you're paying for your hotel, you can get a better deal. Dubai is desperate for hotel money these days and for those willing to research, haggle, shop around and generally be cheeky, your time and energy will create value.

* Get familiar with the taxis, Uber and Careem in Dubai - you will be using them.

* Don't get seduced by just visiting New Dubai; the best experiences in Dubai are often the lesser known things such as the one dirham abra ride across the creek, Frying Pan adventures and local walks, the historical quarter and cultural aspects too.

* Brunch, brunch, brunch. Brits go to Dubai and move up faster in perceived social class than Megan Markle. Before Dubai, I was happy with cod and chips and mushy peas. Now I expect sushi as a starter with lobster and champers. Live the high life, why don't you!

* Ask any questions in the forum here, most of us know a little, and with collective knowledge maybe we can help

* Finally, allow a buffer to the budget and don't get carried away, Dubai will take your money faster than a 'sugar baby' in Silcon Valley. Stop, breathe, and think about those 13 pairs of shoes you're buying from Jimmy Choo - maybe 12 will do?

Most all, chill out and enjoy Dubai 😄 🇦🇪

Edited: 16 May 2018, 05:48
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Thank you Shaun ... that’s so helpful

luckily shoes are not my thing .... I’m thinking of indoor activities when it’s too hot ... is there a Cinema or any indoor football activities/ trampoline park etc my boys are sport mad ?!!

How do you tip in Dubai is it expected and how much say for a taxi ride or bags to room or by the pool / restaurant?etc!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Both big Malls have cinemas. Have a look at doing the Yellow Boats tour - the lads will love it. Desert is fun - maybe do a morning dune bashing as the show and dinner may be a bit dull for them. Aqua Park, a wander around the Souks (my lads love it at dusk going across Creek in an Abra).

Could do a morning fishing....

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Thank you Sean that’s really helpful...

Love the idea of the desert however me and my eldest son get terribly car sick so not one for us I’m

Afraid!!! Will definitely look at the yellow boats tho where do they leave from we are staying at Jumeirah Al Naseem thank you .... any family/kids restaurants you’d recommend ...

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

The zabeel jumeirah on the palm has an in house cinema which you may be able to go and use as your staying at a sister hotel etc.

Take some rash vets for the lads and some water toys for the pool./ lilos

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Look at Bounce eat Al Quoz for trampolines, and of course Ski Dubai (Zorbing) especially is good fun.

Flyboard is good fun for all too.

Dubai offers many 'upgrades' to everyday activities at cinemas. The VIP passes in cinemas are well worth looking at too; waiter service, gourmet food, big armchairs, even blankets for when the AC is OTT.

As for tipping, I never follow any guidelines when I travel. Dubai has lots of low-level workers so it's nice to do all one can to help them, so cash is king (the venues sometimes keep the tips when paid on card). As a rule of thumb, in taxis I work on 5 dirhams for every 15 minutes block as a good rule of thumb.

In restaurants and cafes, you may be charged a service charge but it's nice to offer even a few dirhams if the service is good, or if you would like to help a worker. Valets and porters in hotels, 5 to 10 dirhams is a good tip and anything is appreciated. Housekeeping for a decent 4 or 5 stars I'd drop 10/night and any loose change as a minimum.

In Dubai for tipping, I tend to work on giving first to help and if the service is very good, just give them more. It's not like America where you'll get the violins and a sales pitch if you don't tip.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Well get hubby and 7yo out in the sandpit!

Yellow Boats go from the Marina - it’s a nice morning and works well on your first day in town to blow the cobwebs away.

Might be worth looking at getting the Entertainer....

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Yellow Boats in the Entertainer Dubai - 3 vouchers - 90 minutes Palm, Burj and Marina Tour (save 280 per voucher). With this, pay for two, get two free on the rack rate.

Entertainer is presently 295 AED, and can get an extra 10% off that with promo code - so you're already saving!

For other activities that are in Entertainer, how about...

* 60 min Standup/Paddleboard

* Kitesurfing

* Ferrari World Abu Dhabi

* Dubai Marine Sports (water ski, clear bottom kayak etc)

* Al Boom Diving

* Ski Dubai - Slope or Polar Pass

* Adventure Hq or Escape Hunt - Galleria Mall

* Fishing Harbour at Lebanon Island, The World Islands (not many people will have been here!)

* wild Wadi water park

* Wire World Adventure Park - Kite Beach

Also, it's not just the Entertainer. Jumeirah often have great bundles/offers on so it may be worth weighing up the pros and cons. There's always deals to be had!

Here and there
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Pissouri, Protaras, Paphos, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
48,116 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Before folks get a bit too carried away with things.

What meal plan do you have at Al Naseem ? If it's Summer flavours then you may not be eating outside the Madinat and therefore will be unlikely to get value from the Entertainer

At Al Naseem you get free access to Wild Wadi any day you want

If you get car sick then I would not advise a Yellow Boat experience - you'll be sick.

It will be Ramadan when you are in Dubai - this will restrict your options for eating and drinking outside the hotel before sunset and it will be very hot. Think about how you will manage hydration when you are out and about and can't drink in public.

My top tips for a 7 day stay in June and during Ramadan are to stick to your hotel and/or Wild Wadi during the day or plan indoor activities with good air con and facilities to eat and drink.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?

Your kids might like Goal at Dubai Mall. They run 15-min football matches and tournaments with referees, scoreboard, the whole nine yards

http://www.goaljunior.com/en-US/our-products/

goaljunior.com/en-US/…

Kidzania at Dubai Mall is also a hit

kidzania.ae/en/WhatisKidZania/TheConcept.aspx

Reply to: Family Trip 1st June ... what are your top tips?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted